Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Outback wagon is at the shop, where they are trying to diagnose this intermittent but serious problem. Anyone have ideas, experience with it? My battery light (and brake light) sometimes come on after I have been driving the car, then restart it. If I drive for long after that, the accessories begin to fade, then the engine quits. I've had to be towed off the highway twice -- frustratingly, the battery tests fine, and the car restarts. The connections have been checked for corrosion, etc. If the problem is that the alternator isn't charging the battery, why isn't the battery dead?

Ideas, anyone?

Julie

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
My first guess would be a corroded ground connection, which it sounds like they are already looking for.

Any chance it could be some wild thing like a wire chewed by a mouse or rat?

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for responding. After much testing, the mechanics finally confirmed a bad alternator (at 86,000 miles). They never could get the battery light to come back on.....

Julie

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
There was an alternator recall, but I thought it was for models earlier than yours - you might want to double-check that in case it saves you $$ on the repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The_Lizard said:
My first guess would be a corroded ground connection, which it sounds like they are already looking for.

Any chance it could be some wild thing like a wire chewed by a mouse or rat?

Welcome to the board!
Ha!. I had the same thing happen in June and I knew what it was right away. Battery light on, Alternator isn't charging. But that's not fair, I'm already a Technician..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same problems. I figured it out down to voltage regulator is shot. Voltage would drift all over the place. The higher voltage (16-18 volts!) causes the ABS light to begin to come on higher voltages than that will cause many weird things to happen like dash going nuts wipers into hyper speed. Low voltages cause the battery light to come on.

Trying to replace the regulator now and am waiting on parts, will let you know when I am done but it is pricey!

Nate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the new alternator is in (could not get the regulator seperate on my model/year) $250 + $50 core!

Everything is great.

Nate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
paco_finn
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing