Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Outback with Eyesight....I'm familiar with all the various bells from lane crossing, etc...but every once in a while I hear a single "chime" sound.....I even believe it may happen at the same place on while going down a local road....any help here....

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, with all the bells and whistles (that I didn’t want...but glad I have) !
5 Posts
I have a 2016 2.5 limited also w/ Eyesight. That one single bell chime is very random on my vehicle I would love to figire it out. At first I thought phone.. Stoped using the BT connection but it recovered. The chime/bell is not like any other alert and its only once. Possibly related to XM sat radio? I'm still searching ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Every once in a while I hear a "chime" on my 2019 OB Limited.... No warning message appears... I have no idea what it's about. Maybe the cars just bored.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback with Eyesight....I'm familiar with all the various bells from lane crossing, etc...but every once in a while I hear a single "chime" sound.....I even believe it may happen at the same place on while going down a local road....any help here....
it may be signaling to you that you are back in your lane. Multiple beeps when you depart your lane, a single beep when you have reentered your lane

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6
17 Posts
It could be the reminder that it’s been 1 hour since ignition on. I believe that you will hear a single chime then a visual reminder on the dash

That’s my guess from personal experience

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited nav/eye purchased 8/6/18
305 Posts
My '18 OB chimes once when Eyesight locks on to or locks off a car in front.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts

from the dashboard area? (not navigation through the speakers, right?). Same pitch as the other beeps and chimes?

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
463 Posts
I "think" but still researching:

The single chime/ping appears to be the aquisition or loss of aquisition of a couple of things being tracked: lead car or one or both side lines. If your adaptive cruise is enabled (set or not), might be more noticeable. No messages on screen (if sidelines you would have to see the sidebar lines go off or on).

There are some instructional videos for Eyesite customization options using the three buttons at 7:00 position behind steering wheel and the info display between the dials.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
38 Posts
Do you have Nav? Check you settings. Think there is a setting for red light cameras. Mine did the same thing. Believe it was something to do with Nav.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium with ES and RCTA
11 Posts
There are a couple of sounds you might be hearing. The first is the beep for the Eyesight system following or losing a car while the adaptive cruise is on. The collision alert and RCTA use this sound also.

The mystery chime you're hearing is probably the Lane Departure system. It sounds kind of like the seatbelt sound on an airplane. When Lane Keep Assist is turned on and is actively steering your car away from a lane marker, the car has a unique chime to let you know if the line it was following has disappeared.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
It’s Subaru’s version of a “long beep”

The short beep is so brief you only hear the lower pitch beep. More like a fasten seatbelt chime on an airline.

List of goofy noises eyesight makes. The second section there ... 1 short 1 long is probably what you hear. Automatically exiting cruise control using the paddle shifter will do it. Automatically canceling lane assist as previously mentioned will do it too.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair
120 Posts
In older (before 2017) navigation systems there is/was a warning for sharp turns and other road issues. It could be turned off in the navigation settings. The 'ding' would sound on the same corner every time it's approached. Navigation keeps these locations in Data File. Has nothing to do with Lane Keeping / Departure / Low Gas / Freeze warnings.

Not sure if the 2018 (Tom-Tom) navigation systems carried over this 'feature'.

I have a stand alone 'Tom-Tom' navigation system that warns of traffic, rest areas, radars, and traffic light cameras. Might still have that feature in the built in navigation systems.

Mine been turned off so long I forget the process of doing so.

They get frustrating don't they.

ANY POWER ISSUES will reset this setting and it will return.

Let us know when you find your 'fix'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, have the random one time chime on my ‘19 Outback. While attempts of others to identify it are well received, none are adequate. It is NOT a beep, it is a chime. It has nothing to do with a car in front of me, nor lanes, nor anything else than I’ve identified. Sometimes I’m a block from home, other times I’m ten miles away.
Sure wish Subaru could respond.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,136 Posts
I have it too on my 2019 and have not been able to figure it out.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
I have it too on my 2019 and have not been able to figure it out.
probably the "1 short 1 long beep" - it's not really a beep like the rest of them you normally hear. Set the ACC, then pull the left paddle shifter, see if that's the same noise. If so, then the conditions that trigger it in the screenshot I posted earlier may cause it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Does it go off all the time. Are all of you from cold weather locations? The times I got a chime, i noticed there was a icy road alert on the cluster readout

·
Registered
‘16 Outback, 3.6R
10 Posts
from the dashboard area? (not navigation through the speakers, right?). Same pitch as the other beeps and chimes?
Mine sounds more like a sonar chime. Also this lowers the volume of the radio when it pings then the volume returns. ?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
242 Posts
So we have confirmed that the random single chime that I also get , means something to someone but no need to inform the driver what it means. Clear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Navigation will chime or beep whenever you do things like go over the speed limit, cross some intersection that it thinks warrants it, I think maybe railroad tracks or something, I can't pinpoint, but the best way to check (if you have navigation) is to drive with the map on, and when you hear the beep look at the map and see if it has any warning icons. Like my speed limit sign will turn red, or a little yellow sign with deer crossing will appear, etc. You can turn those warnings off somewhere in settings I think.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts