Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Mine sounds more like a sonar chime. Also this lowers the volume of the radio when it pings then the volume returns. ?
Siri on the iphone waking up and listening? (not sure if android has something similar) That will lower the volume on the radio, and gives no on screen prompts if you're bluetooth connected.. Siri wakes up more now with ios 13 than it did before.

anything connected to audio, or alerts from the NAV unit (seems like some alerts like low fuel when navigating do that, but you get a big screen you can see).

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback, 2.5l, Limited Trim Package, 18" Stock wheels. No extras... YET!
97 Posts
Random thought, likely not related...
1.) DASH CAM has a chime for a few different things...
2.) My old iPod dings every time it starts charging, and again when it reaches 100% charge
3.) My cellphone chimes when it achieves 100% charge.
4.) My DC to AC converter beeps when it looses power (ignition turned off).

Do you have any other accessories in the vehicle that could be contributing?

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
519 Posts
I must have posted my similar experience on another thread so at the risk of repeating my post:

Mine will short-long, d'ding, when the yellow and white lines on the road are not clear or non existent for a moment while I cross a pedestrian crosswalk, train track, or expansion crack filled in with reflective tar. All of these anomalies confuse the Lane Departure Warning to an extend as it's not sure where the lanes went while crossing a white or shiny line perpendicular to the direction of travel.

It's not a fatigue warning as that is clearly marked on the dash
It's not an ipod as I don't have one
It's not a camera as I don't have one
It's not my Waze app as the sound comes from the dash, not the speakers
It's not the typical lane departure warning as this is accompanied by a specific graphic on the dash
It's not a big deal if you ask me, just odd

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I must have posted my similar experience on another thread so at the risk of repeating my post:

Mine will short-long, d'ding, when the yellow and white lines on the road are not clear or non existent for a moment while I cross a pedestrian crosswalk, train track, or expansion crack filled in with reflective tar. All of these anomalies confuse the Lane Departure Warning to an extend as it's not sure where the lanes went while crossing a white or shiny line perpendicular to the direction of travel.

It's not a fatigue warning as that is clearly marked on the dash
It's not an ipod as I don't have one
It's not a camera as I don't have one
It's not my Waze app as the sound comes from the dash, not the speakers
It's not the typical lane departure warning as this is accompanied by a specific graphic on the dash
It's not a big deal if you ask me, just odd
yep. in the chart I posted from the manual, that's the lane keep assist automatically canceling. you can verify that sound by shutting off the automatic cruise control using the left paddle. If it's the same noise, then it's the same things in that section in the chart under the warning/notification chimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've studied every manual to figure it out. Can't find an explanation. It's not a beep, it's a random chime. At least now I know I'm not nuts. It does appear, from these posts, that it happens in the touring 3.6L version but maybe not in other models.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I've studied every manual to figure it out. Can't find an explanation. It's not a beep, it's a random chime. At least now I know I'm not nuts. It does appear, from these posts, that it happens in the touring 3.6L version but maybe not in other models.
if it sounds like a chime and not a beep, it's this... the short beep is so brief all you hear is the second part, which is a different pitch than the other shorter beeps you hear more often for lots of things. It'll be eyesight equipped cars.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
74 Posts
I was puzzled by that chime as well until i found that it came from Lane Keep Assist. When it lost acquisition of a lane marker it chimed. for example, on a highway, when approaching an offramp, say on the right, the Lane Keep Assist loses sight of the right lane marker but still acquires a left lane marker, so it chimes to let you know that it lost the right lane marker. On city streets it becomes a lot more complex and so if you have it on in the city you may get many chimes because the frequency of lane marking loss is quite often.
In the Subaru eyesight owners manual, look up Lane Keep Assist and they indicate this and other similar situations that bring on the chime. They also do not recommend using it in the City. It is an on or off function and stays on or off after you shut down and restart the auto. so often I forget I have it on once I get in the city.
p62-p66 in the Eyesight Manual

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I never saw an answer to this and it's happening on my OB, too. One additional piece of information: I noticed today that when I hear the mystery chime a little octagonal stop sign appears on my map. Clicking the stop sign makes it disappear but doesn't provide any additional information. I'm going in for dealer service this morning and I'll ask them if they have any idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the mystery ding the same sound you hear on a commercial airplane when then”fasten seat belt light” comes on or goes off? That was the one I heard and couldn’t figure out. It was the lane keep assist. Couldn’t ever duplicate it bc I never knew what caused it to go off.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,622 Posts
The sound on the 20 is the same, but they added a pop up warning in the display between the tach and speedo telling you what the sound is for.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,344 Posts
Is there a chime when you enter a school zone with the navigation? I remember getting surprised by that in the past but I can't remember if it was the built in nav or with my Garmin.

Having it happen in the same location made me think of the school zone thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So many chimes, so few answers. However, I did find the answer to my chime question. After I noticed that a "stop sign" appeared on my OB nav screen when I heard the chime I started paying closer attention to the map when I heard the chime. Ding - a crosswalk icon appears on the map and a crosswalk appears on the street. Ding - a lane merging icon appears on the map and the lanes merge on the street. Ding - a RR crossing icon appears on the map and there is a RR crossing ahead of me. Since I can see what's happening on the road and since the nav alert system is hit and miss, I'm going to turn off the alerts and watch the road.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited 6-Cylinder
2 Posts
I had a mysterious repeating ding-ding sound that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. Turned out to be that the power lift gait needed re-calibrating. The dealer did the calibration, and that fixed the ding-ding sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So many chimes, so few answers. However, I did find the answer to my chime question. After I noticed that a "stop sign" appeared on my OB nav screen when I heard the chime I started paying closer attention to the map when I heard the chime. Ding - a crosswalk icon appears on the map and a crosswalk appears on the street. Ding - a lane merging icon appears on the map and the lanes merge on the street. Ding - a RR crossing icon appears on the map and there is a RR crossing ahead of me. Since I can see what's happening on the road and since the nav alert system is hit and miss, I'm going to turn off the alerts and watch the road.
did you ever figure out how to disable this chime? I drive almost exclusively in town, so lots of crosswalks, intersections, etc. and it is driving me bonkers! Thank you!
PS. It is NOT lane or other assist. That is not the solution here

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,474 Posts
It’s Subaru’s version of a “long beep”

The short beep is so brief you only hear the lower pitch beep. More like a fasten seatbelt chime on an airline.

List of goofy noises eyesight makes. The second section there ... 1 short 1 long is probably what you hear. Automatically exiting cruise control using the paddle shifter will do it. Automatically canceling lane assist as previously mentioned will do it too.
Walker, thank you for posting that page, (I am interested in 2017-2020 cars, to replace my aging 2002 sedan) but along those wonderfully typed lines here is a ode to all those that love their subarus,...and the many beeps that they produce to say they love their people back

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just posted this in responce to another query about random dings................

I had a similar issue and the result was just plain silly.

I had a friends whippet on the front seat. If a human is on the front seat and the seat belt is not done up you get the warning "ding", but the whippet didn't set it off. Until you hit a bump and the bounce makes the car think it's a person there with no seatbelt on and sets off the "ding" (but just a single one).

This went on for five minutes until I happened to notice the tell tale on the dash notifying of a seat belt issue.

Not sure if this is the cause of your issue or not.

Norm.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
18 Posts
The mystery chime you're hearing is probably the Lane Departure system. It sounds kind of like the seatbelt sound on an airplane. When Lane Keep Assist is turned on and is actively steering your car away from a lane marker, the car has a unique chime to let you know if the line it was following has disappeared.
At last!
Now I know everything!
Thank you.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium with eyesight
21 Posts
There are a couple of sounds you might be hearing. The first is the beep for the Eyesight system following or losing a car while the adaptive cruise is on. The collision alert and RCTA use this sound also.

The mystery chime you're hearing is probably the Lane Departure system. It sounds kind of like the seatbelt sound on an airplane. When Lane Keep Assist is turned on and is actively steering your car away from a lane marker, the car has a unique chime to let you know if the line it was following has disappeared.
I have noticed the single chime when the white line on the road disappears.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts