Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up in New Hampshire and from the resent snow storms I noticed something odd.
We had a snow storm today so when I went out to move and clean off the outback it got stuck in the snow. After moveing it back and forth and then shoveling it out there was yellow fluid left in the snow after it got stuck following it to were its parked now. I was guessing this could be rear axle grease??? should I be concerned
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
It wouldn't be axle grease since thats thick and usually brown-ish or grey-ish color. Maybe differential fluid, brake fluid, clean motor oil, coolant either of those could be yellow. Check the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder, front diff fluid level with dipstick on passenger side of tranny, engine oil level and coolant level.

Coolant is green, but it could have a yellowish tint if dilluted with snow.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip ill check tomorrow when the suns out and get back to you

·
Registered
2000 OBW, 185K
116 Posts
Interesting, I recently made the same observation on mine; appeared to have come from the rear differential. Haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
It happened to me as well, I checked all my fluids and they were all good. I didn't bother with it after that since the fluid levels didn't drop and it only happened once. On mine I'm assuming the snow touched the rustproofing that I had sprayed on in the fall.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
There once was a time in my crappy Kia Sephia that I did decide to ram my way into a snow-filled parking space.

I came to a rather violent stop when i ran into a small wall of ice near the bottom of the snow. Smacked my exhaust on it pretty good and had quite a fright when I got out and saw yellowish liquid around the area I had hit!

After some various tests (including taste...) and self-diagnostics I concluded that it must have been some water/condensation mixed with exhuast nastiness that had collected in the muffler and sloshed out. Never noticed any issues after the incident. This may not be the case for you, but that was my personal experience.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hay guys when i got home i checked it out to see if it was brake fluid and no it wasnt that that tank was full. I did start it up let it run for a bit i moved it back and forth like i did when it was stuck saw a little in the snow but when it was running i did smell raw gas when i was standing behind it. Also the check engine light has been on for a while but the car is fine not too long ago the engine was replaced do to the last one getting seized. Do to old age

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Condensation in your catalytic converter would do it too ... there is some sulphur there... that stuff is usually yellow! Just guessing here....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I noticed something like that reddish in color dripping near my front , this was after I went up to Spokane Wa and then drove back after it snowed then realized it was from the beets they use in with the de-icer.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I am betting that it is from snow stuffed up the tailpipe, which, of course, melted, leaving the mellow yellow striping.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill put a towell under it and see if anything falls on it when its parked and then i could see were its comeing from and see even if it will do it when its off or if it has to be running to drip and check it out latter tommarow. I also still have to bring it in to see what is setting of the Check Engine light and see if thats part of the problem.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i checked the oil today and it was low when i added more in to it friday when i drove to Boston which is 45 miles hopefully its not leaking im gonna put a lot more time into this tomorrow. i gonna put the towel under it tomorrow as well since the ground is still wet from the snow and i have a gravel drive way so if it is leaking it would go into the dirt.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
After some various tests (including taste...)
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow" Frank Zappa

Unless you just did an oil change the oil would most likely not be yellow or golden. It doesn't take long for it darken in color. Just in case, I'd check the drain plug bolt and the filter to make sure they haven't been bonked loose while driving over ice chunks.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats true ill check that out too since that could be it

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nope every thing looks good but some how the oil is almost gone i dont know how that happend theres noo leaks

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Sounds like you are burning oil.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what im saying it dose but i dont smell oil just raw gas i forgot to mention that it was stronger today then yesterday.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Did you have a chance to place the towel under the car yet? If you are finding yellow liquid and your oil is disappearing, then it would seem it is leaking out of somewhere. The two may not be related, but I recommend starting with the most obvious possibilities first. Perhaps your oil pan or gasket seal has been compromised?

Not sure how, but I bet the gasoline odor is related to this. Valve cover gaskets could be leaking as well.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya im gonna put the towel under the car now the ground seems dry enough today

1 - 20 of 37 Posts