Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
checked the oil today and it was the same also no leaks on the towwel so i put more oil in to see if that would leak out so see how it is latter today. by the way i added a quwart.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,237 Posts
Could this be related to the fuel issue that is common with these cars in the cold?
For years - I had an issue with my 03 - when I would take it in freezing temps in the mountains, or when it got below freezing at my house (a few times a year), I would have a horrible fuel smell for about 15 to 20 minutes of driving - coming thru the vents. But when I tried to get it looked at - it would go away by the time the mechanic would see it. (the car would warm up and the problem would go away.

It was always after the car SAT in cold/snowy temps.
When it died in Mammoth Lakes last summer - the mechanic up there works on a TON of Subarus and its snowy cold up there. He said it was a common problem with the outbacks and related to the clamps or something on the hoses - they would not tighten in the cold as much - something like that.

Anyway - I DID see people talking about this issue on this board since then.

I dont know WHERE all the leaks would occur - but could this be related to this issue?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well its the outback's first winter so Maybe. But lets hope nothing is leaking from the engine this weekend i might take it in so i wont have to worry about it any more.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Be sure it has some oil in it before you drive it to the shop or you might be leaving it there forever.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ya i put a quart in today i might drive it today to see how it runs i been useing the legacy and my wife is useing her Rouge. since we dont want to risk it to work and back

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,237 Posts
Well its the outback's first winter so Maybe. But lets hope nothing is leaking from the engine this weekend i might take it in so i wont have to worry about it any more.
I cant remember what the guy said EXACTLY was the failing parts, but it had something to do with the way the cold affected some seals in the fuel line somewhere. Then when the engine warmed up - the problem was better, so it showed up after the car would sit in cold for a while - only around or below freezing. The symptom was a strong fuel smell all over the car and inside through the vents.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
huh i defiantly check that out latter and see if that fixes it

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
After 3 days under the towel nothen dripped under the engine amd oil still low I really don't know how this is happening

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Are there signs of oil in your coolant/radiator fluid?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good idea ill see if it's leaking in there tomorrow I also take some pix and upload them I get a genral pix of the engine and tanks and some hoses

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
coolant looks low too as well oil stayed the same for once and what color is coolant normally since mine was clear and there was some dyed yellow stuff near the cap. Also check out my photos of the engine i took today as well of a video of its start up revs. it sounds ok

Papaginos's Library | Photobucket

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok have 2004 Outback started leaking yellow oil ... At first thought it was engine oil but not .. Is it possible air conditioner pump ? I noticed belt has reddish dusting on it bearing is a bit loud ..the drips after getting it home putting white box under it had just a couple drops . Just had heads done last summer ... Is there anything else that maybe leaking yellow ...? Not engine oil .. Car had weird smell inside car ... But still putting out cold air ..

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
Yellow fluids, let's see here...

Coolant can be yellow, though I believe the suby OEM juice is green, which could dilute to yellow, but I'm not sure how.

AC fluid won't leak like that, it sublimates when its not under pressure, so that's highly unlikely.

PS fluid could be yellow, but IIRC the stuff in mine is red. Potentially worth investigating.

Brake fluid can be a whole rainbow of colors, I like MotulRBF (red) and Pagid (blue), but some of the other brands run from clear to yellow, so that could be.

I believe the clutch fluid is the same as the brake fluid, so that's something to check.

Transmission fluid is generally red for ATF, not sure for a manual. I think Motul fluid is clear, so maybe if its been contaminated it could take on a yellow color.

Diff juice is clear-ish, so that might be as well.

One last thing is window washer juice. That stuff can be a myriad of colors.

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
Can you take a picture of the offending stain, so we can get an idea of how yellow it is? Is it a faint yellow, does it look like urine, is it bright yellow?

What does it smell like?

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Red would be one of two things leaky oring seal on the power steering pump easy cheap fix or a AT transmission leak cooler line or some thing else.

Brake fluid typically is brown more so than red but could be the source check the level and poke around looking for leaks. Gear box grease is clear yellowish front and rear diff has this.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We got it fixed way back in March i forget what it was now that was making it leak yellow sorry about that. Thanks for your responses though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts