Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've got what I think is a bit of a sagging suspension problem on my 06 OBXT Ltd and hope someone can help. I know there's plenty of suspension advice on the forum but I'm still at a loss...

Anyhow, for a while I've noticed that the rear of the car looks like it sags, or at least the suspension isn't "level". Today a friend was here with his stock 05 OB. I know the specs are slightly different, but I figured I'd check my suspicions with a few basic measurements (both cars filled with approx. the same amount of gas, both with tires with approx. same amount of tread wear):

Vertical distance to top of wheel wells on my OBXT:
Front: 29 3/8", Rear 28 1/2". This can't be right! Front *higher* than rear?

Vertical distance to top of wheel wells on my friend's stock OB:
Front: 29" , Rear 30 1/4". .

AHHH..This is what I suspected! The OBXT is sagging!?!? Nearly a 2" difference!! Unless the 06 OBXT is meant to ride 2" lower than the standard 05 OB, which I doubt.

A bit more:

Vertical distance to lip of rear bumper:

OBXT: 22 1/4" vs. OB: 22 3/4" Not much of a difference....

Finally, the rear springs on my OBXT were upgraded to Rallitek in June (as suggested in a post before I took off for the summer; many thanks!), and the shocks were replaced as well, so shouldn't we expect less compression under weight, even at lighter weights end?

Nevertheless: One 175 lb man standing on rear bumper lowers OBXT to 21 1/4" vs. OB to 22". Two 175 lb men standing on rear bumper lowers OBXT to 20 1/4 vs. OB to 21". Nearly identical, and OB is still taller than OBXT!!!

What gives? The only guess I've got right now is that the perhaps my mechanic installed shocks that were too short when he replaced the springs (KYB GR2's)? He did mention getting the assembly back together took quite a bit of muscle...

Any other guesses?

Many many thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,367 Posts
Just checking in with measurements from my own '06 OBXT:

Front 28 1/2"
Rear 29 1/2"

Factory wheels, stock tire size, 1/3 tank, no cargo, factory springs all around, 00-04 KYB struts in the rear. Ground isn't level here.

For what it's worth, it does take a lot of muscle to do struts/springs- but usually the problem is getting the suspension arms to extend low enough to line up with the fully extended new strut/spring set, not the other way round.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for checking! Those seems like more reasonable numbers...or perhaps all this is within the margin of error?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts