Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time changing oil on this new to me 2013 3.6 Outback. Right next to the oil filter there is an electrical connector that is attached to a small metal bracket. The bracket does have a hole in it and, presumably, should be fastened somewhere but it's just dangling right against the unibody. The connector has two wires (yellow and black). The end of the connector has a plunger on it that can be pressed in but it appears to be spring loaded to pop back out. Wires from the connector come up behind the air box and then join the main harness to travel along the firewall. Anyone have a clue what this is/does? I'll try to get a picture of it.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
See if you can find out if the car ever had the remote start accessory installed. This sounds like the hood sensor for the remote start (I have a similar object but it's securely mounted where it belongs).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
:ttiwwp:...just sayin'

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you hallux. The more I thought about it the more I wondered if it was part of that system. I reached up underneath and held it in and hit the remote start (which never worked) and it fired right up. So I mounted it under the reservoir on the passenger fender where it is supposed to be. The strange part of this is that I know for certain the remote start worked when this vehicle was traded in and that the hood switch was mounted correctly when it was traded in. My next door neighbor owned the car and when I asked about the remote start not working he noticed that the switch was gone when we were looking under the hood. Not sure why the dealer would remove the bracket from the fender, tuck it behind the air box and leave it dangling.

·
Registered
18,297 Posts
See if you can find out if the car ever had the remote start accessory installed. This sounds like the hood sensor for the remote start (I have a similar object but it's securely mounted where it belongs).
Very possible. Wire colors correspond to the hood switch description in the FSM wiring diagram. Appears the sensor (switch) would be mounted in the engine compartment, on the right side, near the top back of the inner right side fender where the hood comes down (senses when the hood is closed or open).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts