Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure this out for a few days and have had no luck so here goes. Head gaskets went out last week, starting leaking coolant everywhere pretty bad. Right around the same time I noticed that there was coolant pooling right under the drivers side of the coolant crossover pipe. I changed the hose that Is right there it was still there, does anyone have any ideas? right now the only thing I can think is that the head gasket is leaking coolant onto the top of the block, but I've never heard of a head gasket leaking from the top. I'll post a picture to better aid.
Oh and it is definitely coolant leaking. It looks like oil in the pictures because I accidentally spilled some during the head gasket job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,870 Posts
When I had a mystery coolant leak (droplets all over the engine and even the underside of hood) it turned out to be the RADIATOR leaking at the seal where the plastic end-tank is crimped to the aluminum fins.

It would only leak when engine was STONE COLD. (below 20f) and reseal itself when engine warmed up. Apparently, the antifreeze was squirting out as the engine heated up (pressure building)

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,301 Posts
i'd lean toward bruce's post.

in all my subarus, when the plastic part of the radiator gave up, they didn't leak under idle. they all had to have load, and as soon as they did, it spritzed like milking a cow and went everywhere.

get your car warm, and hit the throttle body, or get someone to rev while you watch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, I pressure tested the system myself a while back and found no leaks. I then took it to a shop and they said that the crossover was leaking. But it was hard to tell because there is so much other stuff packed around that area and I find it unlikely that a hard line would leak like that. I've got it all off right now and haven't found any other possible place it could leak. I guess it could be the radiator but it would be unlikely that it squirt all the way under the intake and pile up on top of the block like that. Again I appreciate the help here on this.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,150 Posts
I ASSume this is an EJ251....

Head gaskets very rarely leak coolant on those. Looks like textbook crossover tube o-ring. Did you replace those?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered them today. Just decided that it's the only thing that it could possibly be. Thank you again Numbchux, lets hope we're right haha! Would really hate to pull that manifold off again haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also I forgot to mention. I found this on the passenger side on top of the block when I pulled a hose off when taking the intake manifold off (talking about the goopy stuff coming off of where the hose connects). Not sure what kind of hose this is or what it's name is. The original hose broke around 30,000 miles ago and I replaced it with some hose I had on hand which wasn't the right kind but I made it work and then forgot to buy the OEM hose. Could the hose be whats cause the goopy stuff? There isn't anything else like that in my cooling system.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
also I forgot to mention. I found this on the passenger side on top of the block when I pulled a hose off when taking the intake manifold off (talking about the goopy stuff coming off of where the hose connects). Not sure what kind of hose this is or what it's name is. The original hose broke around 30,000 miles ago and I replaced it with some hose I had on hand which wasn't the right kind but I made it work and then forgot to buy the OEM hose. Could the hose be whats cause the goopy stuff? There isn't anything else like that in my cooling system.
So I noticed a coolant smell on 2.5 liter outback, thought it might be left rear cylinder. Noting that I wasn't losing noticeable amount of coolant ie coolant level was still good. I did some leak checking. Cleaned up the entire area around head and crossover tube/block interface and all the block area in between the casting fins etc (access is a challenge), must be really clean, ran the engine until warm. No leaks detectable while warm, due to evapouration. So when the engine cooled enough I could see the formation of a coolant drop around the left hand crossover tube/block interface. Also the location of the leaked coolant was too far inboard to be a cylinder head gasket leak and no indication of coolant around head to block interface. On further investigation, I found evidence of coolant leak on the right crossover tube/block interface. I removed the crossover tube and checked for cracking (visual with 10x magnification) on the two coolant holes of the block and both inlet ducts on the crossover tube. No cracks detected, although the casting has quite a bit of porrosity. You could use eddy current or do a liquid penetrant test with UV green penetrant, or visible dye penetrant test with red penetrant if available or you pay someone to test it for you. I contacted a Subaru wrecker in Adelaide South Australia and he said it was reasonably common for the seals to age and develop a leak. I'm happy enough to just replace the two seals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a leak in the top stub pipe on radiator back 2018. Turned out to be a crack. I'd smelled coolant whilst driving from Adelaide South Australia to Darwin Northern Territory via Ularu, Olgas and Kings Canyon, Alice Springs. 4000Km trip, towing a trailer....yeh I drove my Outback through the prime Outback of Australia (Hot deserts 45 deg plus C:113 deg F plus every day) with a cracked top stub pipe and didn't even know it. I found the leak 5 months later, but hadn't lost a noticeable amount of coolant. Amaizing!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd check the whole radiator. Once it's broke best replace, not like the old days of chasing solder around the tube connections LOL!
I'm shopping around for one now. I don't mind waiting for shipping. I top the rad off every time it's cold and the leak is manageable. Worst case, I have roadside assistance towing and my wife's car as a backup.

·
Registered
'01 OBW 2.5/AT; '99 BMW 528i/5-spd
147 Posts
That's your PCV valve, clogged with that gooey emulsion of unburnt blow-by and condensation. Take it out and clean it or replace with a new one. They're quite cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with the coolant leaking on top of the driver's side of the motor. It turned out to be a plastic intake/outtake coolant housing piece. It bolts up under the air conditioning compressor. I'm not sure of the name and can't find much info online including a replacement one. Does anyone know of a link to order a replacement?

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,150 Posts
I had the same problem with the coolant leaking on top of the driver's side of the motor. It turned out to be a plastic intake/outtake coolant housing piece. It bolts up under the air conditioning compressor. I'm not sure of the name and can't find much info online including a replacement one. Does anyone know of a link to order a replacement? View attachment 508337
IIRC, it's a crankcase vent fitting of some sort. Dealers stock it as it's SOP replacement with warranty short block replacement (unique to the FB engines, completely unrelated to this ancient thread or the cars it applies to).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts