Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey subie fans,
2005 OBXT, 165K

I've developed a mystery water leak in the trunk area of my OBXT. After it rains, I'll find water on the carpet area of my trunk above the spare tire, all the way down into the rear tire storage compartment. The headliner is totally dry.
Per some threads here, I thought it might be a plugged drain hose from the sunroof. I pulled the headliner and and checked the hoses and they were clear from the outlets above the tires, up to the junctions in the headliner.

I welcome any thoughts. One idea is that the rear trunk glass seal is done, but I'm not sure how I would diagnose. Is that even an issue?

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If it's not the sunroof drains, you should probably check the spoiler/3rd brake light assembly next. Congrats & good luck!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,918 Posts
Water doesn't need much of an opening!

I've had water get into a taillight housing, then migrate in thru the wires under the insulation, neatly bypassing the waterproof grommet.

·
Registered
2008 H4SO 4AT VDC 235000km, Eastern Ontario, Canada
27 Posts
I am curious if you ever found the source of this leak jake28? I have a 2008 wagon with a mystery leak in the same place. Water pooled on the cargo privacy protector so I know the source is above the tail-lights and trunk release. Headliner is totally dry. Window seals seem good too.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
Check the rubber grommets where the Hatch wires go from the body to the hatch.

·
Registered
2008 H4SO 4AT VDC 235000km, Eastern Ontario, Canada
27 Posts
Nailed it Max Capacity! Thank you for the pointer.

The source of the leak was a split rubber boot/grommet beside the right-side liftgate hinge. I attempted to seal it up with RTV silicone today. I should find out if it worked tomorrow when the rain comes. 🐳

1 - 8 of 8 Posts