Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
07 Outback 2.5 Manual transmission,tow-hitch and heavy suspension
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fueled in Exon Red Bluff. Since I have had a problem pulling a hill either weighed down or with a trailer. It would slow to the point of having to shift. With the trailer I was using 1st gear where last year I used 2nd. Since this started I had to change water pump so it has a new timing belt, replaced valve cover gaskets, these were unrelated, so I gave it a tune up new plugs and wires. no change to the power problem. it will slowly accelerate but no umph whatsoever. Tried to change fuel filter and you cant in this model something about it being in the pump.
running 91 octane for the trailer and added an injector cleaner. That seems like it somewhat helped but I have a serious hill o pull the trailer up next week. Any suggestions. I am not used to these computerized models. Missing my type 1:frown2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did use that first tank of gas till the light came on so it would be gone before I refueled

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Looking at your fuel trims and getting a compression test would be a good start.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
miles ?

any check engine lights, ... (seems like soon you will get one,...or maybe some flashing from misfires).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
I see nothing wrong with downshifting to get up a hill while towing a heavy load....not doing so is bad for the engine. That said, 1st gear does seem extreme....

a bad knock sensor can reduce power without always setting a code.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
91 octane won't help. There's no additional energy stored in 91 octane gas. Higher octane means it resists knocking/predetonation, which higher compression engines then leverage to generate more power. Your subaru engine isn't high compression and 87 octane is all you need.

I tow frequently with my 2.5 auto as well. Downshifting is normal when I'm climbing hills, though first seems excessive unless it's a mountain road.

+1 on the compression test and checking fuel trims. If you were worried about a clogged fuel filter, a fuel pressure test wouldn't hurt either

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,124 Posts
Here are the primary input factors determining what gearing is necessary when towing uphill:

(1) Power of the towing vehicle
(2) Weight of the towing vehicle
(3) Overall drivetrain ratios
(4) Weight of the trailer pulled
(5) Percent grade

We know the first three items on the list, since you've told us what you're running. What are we talking about here for the last two?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It isn't throwing any codes
Same steep hill I pulled last year in second gear, load same aprox. 1000lb.
Guess a compression test is in order. geez this car has cost me a fortune

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
there could be a pending code that might be a clue

inspect the knock sensor, they can be cracked/bad with no code set.

same is true for engine temp sensor but, you'd probably have hard starting or poor-running when cold or ???

rpms normal? no clutch slipping?

try the same hill and load conditions immediately after an ECU reset - disconnect battery, touch the disconnected terminal to the other battery terminal, reconnect, try the hill run.

If the car does better, chances are a sensor is bad. If it climbs the hill just as poorly, probably some more physical problem with valves or compression or vacuum leak or clogged exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a bad first cat causing back pressure in the engine. I had it installed on a recall 20,000 miles ago. it immediately clogged the one behind it when they put it in, then I had to have them put the second one in. all this is at the local dealer, while it was under recall warranty, now the mileage is too high.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wondering if it's safe to pull my trailer up and down a very steep, bumpy road like this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So there is back pressure from the 1st catalytic converter that was replaced on a recall about 20,000 miles ago. When that particular one was replaced there was a power loss last year at the time. Dealers solution was to replace the second cat. this did OK till now. Is there some mileage warranty on this replacement cat? this is documented when I had this work done at the dealer, they said to bring it in to retest and then call corporate to see if they will do anything. How likely is this and what should I say to them?

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
Based on your OP, I am led to believe that this all started after leaving a gas station. I'm sorry, but cats don't work/flow one second, and not the next. (Leaded fuel should be non-existent by now) Rather, it's a slower process. Grab a laser temperature gun, get the exhaust hot by driving under a bit of load, then measure the inlet and outlet temps of the cat(s). Good luck with the warranty on the cat(s). Hope SOA helps you out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to know the diameter of the exhaust on either side of the cat. I am ordering one other than the the Subaru version which lasted only 20k. Makes no sense to replace it again with something that wont last. Probably just a piece of fluff sicking in it somewhere. 5 hours of diagnostics at the dealer and all they could say was there was a diminished air flow out the tail-pipe. They did nothing to let me definitively know what it is but charged almost $200 me for the pleasure of sitting there all day. It sucks being a woman who everyone only sees as a paycheck.
I am over 1000 in diagnostics for this so far. Oh I also need 2 front axles to boot. get it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a welder if I could get a link to standard cats that fit those pipes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts