1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this little guy "floating" around the
bottom of the air cleaner assy
after a shop service which included
a power steering fluid, and hose replacement.

Does it have a home somewhere in our 03 outback?

Would any one have a pic?

It is about 1/2 inch long.

Thanks,

Gerry

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
somewhat resembles a pass-thru or bushing, w'ever I had to epoxy back in place on the plastic accessory belt cover on my WRX.

the 10mm on the right side;

but it seems too large from your description....?????

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I think it's an insert for the airbox attachment bolt. There is a nut or a bolt that holds it to a an attachment bumper at the fender or the radiator support. It's sleeve so the whole thing can't be over-tightened and break the plastic. It most like fell out some time in the past when the air filter was being changed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's an insert for the airbox attachment bolt. There is a nut or a bolt that holds it to a an attachment bumper at the fender or the radiator support. It's sleeve so the whole thing can't be over-tightened and break the plastic. It most like fell out some time in the past when the air filter was being changed.
Most likely.

Here are two pics of the most likely suspected attachment points.

Any thoughts as to which one?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
#1 looks way off center. If that spacer was there, the bolt would be centered.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
As a joke now I want to find some random, weirdly shaped component and wedge it in the visor of random cars at the service shop. When the owner flips the visor down this part will fall to the floor and depending upon their neuroses they will go crazy (and take the service manager along with them to crazy-town).

"But it fell out of some area on my car? What is it?? Is it important??? Don't you people know ANYTHING?!"

The part will look valuable, exceedingly complex and therefore critical for the safe operation of the car.

If you ever saw the 1980's movie "Real Genius", it is like Dr. Forester trying to find out where the computer chip fell out of the laser targeting system right before it is tested.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
As a joke now I want to find some random, weirdly shaped component and wedge it in the visor of random cars at the service shop. When the owner flips the visor down this part will fall to the floor and depending upon their neuroses they will go crazy (and take the service manager along with them to crazy-town).

"But it fell out of some area on my car? What is it?? Is it important??? Don't you people know ANYTHING?!"

The part will look valuable, exceedingly complex and therefore critical for the safe operation of the car.

If you ever saw the 1980's movie "Real Genius", it is like Dr. Forester trying to find out where the computer chip fell out of the laser targeting system right before it is tested.
Old Hobie Cat racing trick toss some random loose junk bits on a competitors sail so it slides down and falls on the trampoline and watch the panic ensue. Its usually good for one solid distraction breaking a tacking duel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts