Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
'23 Outback XT Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the MySubaru app to remote start my car and I can't figure out how to set it up the way I want it.

I'd like to have different start settings that I use when it's cold out than when it's warm out. And maybe even a third start setting for when the car is buried in snow but that is less important as it happens less frequently. I see that I can create presets where I can change the cabin temperature, heated seats, etc. However when I make my own preset I cannot choose Auto climate control which means when I get into the car I have to remember to switch it back to auto, which I usually realize I forgot to do when I noticed is getting too warm and the fan is still blasting. I know there is a starlink preset that allows for Auto control but I can't permanently modify the settings of that preset so I can't change the temperature to what I would actually want it to be or have the heated seats come on. There is an option to edit the preset but not the ability to save changes, only start the car with the modified settings which means I would have to modify them every time. Looking back at old posts it appears there used to be the option to create user presets with auto climate control but for some reason that option doesn't exist anymore.

Why are there these seemingly pointless limitations to what could be a really nice feature (remote start with climate Presets)?

I also wish there was the ability to have the heated steering wheel come on but that's less annoying to me then the lack of a customizable Auto setting.

Oh, and how come I can use the app to see if my windows are closed but it can't tell me if my doors are locked? Ok, rant over.

So am I missing settings somewhere to do what I want or is it just not possible? Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,252 Posts
That's great @CourtneyNYC but that doesn't really show how to resolve what the OP is asking (unless it does and you didn't describe it related to one of the screenshots), and I have the same concern. I'd rather set a temperature and leave the system in full auto as I have it set normally. This does not seem possible with the Starlink remote start and seems to be a significant oversight on the part of Subaru.

·
Registered
2023 Outback Touring
272 Posts
I've been similarly frustrated. Even worse is that my last non-Subaru was a Ram and that you didn't need to mess with any of this. There were some settings you would configure in the truck, but if it was cold, it turned on the heated seats, steering wheel & defosters. It left the temperature setpoint where you had it last and just used the AC or Heat as necessary. So much simpler.

The other frustrating thing about the My Subaru app is that it doesn't even always do what you think it will. I started it the other day and told it to put the driver's heated seat on medium and when I got about 3 miles down the road realized the heated seat was off. Now, it was on when I shut it off, and I had the app set to have it on, but for some reason it turned it off instead. Makes no sense.

I am happy they added the ventilated seats to the '23 app, but the rest of it is still over complicated and lacking.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2023 Outback Wilderness
51 Posts
I guess I am getting old lol, I remember the days of going out in a foot of snow to start the cars, no heated seats or wheels. Yes it's awesome to have these features but if there is a glitch I try not to stress it too much, I would however like to see a longer run time other than 10 min, yes I can start it again but it would be cool to start it and forget about it.

·
Registered
2022 2.4L Touring XT (Ordered 26FEB22)
205 Posts
that doesn't really show how to resolve what the OP is asking (unless it does and you didn't describe it related to one of the screenshots),
I must have missed the question . . . . I just go in and add all the presets I want . . . "really cold" . . . "kind cold" . . "warm day" and "hotter than ****". Simply touch the button to start and get the preset of your choice.

I'll go back and reread . . all seems pretty simple and intuitive but, I'll take another look.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,252 Posts
I must have missed the question
It wasn't really a question, more of a statement, buried in a large paragraph..

However when I make my own preset I cannot choose Auto climate control which means when I get into the car I have to remember to switch it back to auto, which I usually realize I forgot to do when I noticed is getting too warm and the fan is still blasting.
With this, apparently there is an auto preset but if you change any of the settings (including the seats) you lose the auto setting...

·
Registered
'23 Outback XT Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not exactly what I meant. The only way to start the car using an auto climate setting is to use the Starlink preset. There is an option to edit that preset however once edited there is no option to save, only start the engine. When creating a customized preset under My Presets, auto climate is not an option. So there's no way that I can determine to create a customized preset using the auto climate.

Font Material property Gadget Technology Circle
Azure Rectangle Font Communication Device Technology

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
That's not exactly what I meant. The only way to start the car using an auto climate setting is to use the Starlink preset. There is an option to edit that preset however once edited there is no option to save, only start the engine. When creating a customized preset under My Presets, auto climate is not an option. So there's no way that I can determine to create a customized preset using the auto climate.

View attachment 554495 View attachment 554496
You could always try this:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I’m missing something ….. I seem to be able to make all the preset configurations I want …. And start the car with the selected one.
He’s trying to make a preset with the climate control set to AUTO. Theres a preset that came with the app, called Auto, that has it set. You can modify it but you can’t save it as a new preset. When you create a new preset AUTO isn’t an option for climate control.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Interesting project. I'm not sure I want to go through all that effort to set it up. It looks like it could be configured to start with climate control in auto mode so that's pretty cool.
I don’t have an Android but i did this (with help from this forum) on my iPhone with Siri Shortcuts. Bypasses the app and talks directly to the server. Multiple shortcuts for startup and climate configs. Auto is indeed an option for the presets, which make it even worse that the app designers left it out.

·
Registered
2023 OB Onyx 2.5
222 Posts
I have climate presets with a set temp. My unit stays in "auto" (2023) throughout. I then just readjust the temp as needed when I enter the car. I know the previous versions have a different "auto" though....

·
Registered
'23 Outback XT Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have climate presets with a set temp. My unit stays in "auto" (2023) throughout. I then just readjust the temp as needed when I enter the car. I know the previous versions have a different "auto" though....
Are you using the default Auto preset when you start or are you using a preset you created? I have a 2023 also and mine doesn't stay in auto unless I use the Auto preset. If I use any of My Presets it takes it out of auto.

·
Registered
2023 OB Onyx 2.5
222 Posts
Are you using the default Auto preset when you start or are you using a preset you created? I have a 2023 also and mine doesn't stay in auto unless I use the Auto preset. If I use any of My Presets it takes it out of auto.
I created new presets. One for winter and one for summer. The temp i set is often different then what was there the last time I was in the car. I also set things like get the seats heated, rear and front defrost, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I created new presets. One for winter and one for summer. The temp i set is often different then what was there the last time I was in the car. I also set things like get the seats heated, rear and front defrost, etc.
Does it allow you to set the climate control system to Auto when creating them? Can you take a pic/screenshot of it if it does?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
211 Posts
I just figured it out. You have to select Climate preset first and then start car otherwise goes to last preset that you used. There are Starlink presets in the app and one is auto and also your own presets. The weird thing is if you dont select Climate first before starting it goes to last preset..Took awhile for me to figure it out..Good luck

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,204 Posts
I have created a Climate Control preset in MySubaru for my car and it works great! Using the preset is easy and once you type in your PIN, it starts the car for you.

Reactions: DanielAcosta
1 - 20 of 41 Posts