Subaru Outback Forums banner

MySubaru Climate Presets

984 40
I've been using the MySubaru app to remote start my car and I can't figure out how to set it up the way I want it.

I'd like to have different start settings that I use when it's cold out than when it's warm out. And maybe even a third start setting for when the car is buried in snow but that is less important as it happens less frequently. I see that I can create presets where I can change the cabin temperature, heated seats, etc. However when I make my own preset I cannot choose Auto climate control which means when I get into the car I have to remember to switch it back to auto, which I usually realize I forgot to do when I noticed is getting too warm and the fan is still blasting. I know there is a starlink preset that allows for Auto control but I can't permanently modify the settings of that preset so I can't change the temperature to what I would actually want it to be or have the heated seats come on. There is an option to edit the preset but not the ability to save changes, only start the car with the modified settings which means I would have to modify them every time. Looking back at old posts it appears there used to be the option to create user presets with auto climate control but for some reason that option doesn't exist anymore.

Why are there these seemingly pointless limitations to what could be a really nice feature (remote start with climate Presets)?

I also wish there was the ability to have the heated steering wheel come on but that's less annoying to me then the lack of a customizable Auto setting.

Oh, and how come I can use the app to see if my windows are closed but it can't tell me if my doors are locked? Ok, rant over.

So am I missing settings somewhere to do what I want or is it just not possible? Am I asking too much?
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,231 Posts
I think there's some confusion in this thread.

I, like I think the OP does, like to use the FULL AUTO setting on my climate. I'd like to start my car, have it set to FULL AUTO but also have the ability to select the defroster(s) if the windows need to be cleared in the winter and seat heater(s). Problem is - when selecting any of those functions the remote start feature of Starlink then reverts to MANUAL climate control, and you need to set FULL AUTO once you're in the car and have pressed the engine start button. I'd like to remote start my Outback, leave the HVAC set as it was when I left it (FULL AUTO, set to the temp I want) and have the option to turn on seat heaters and defrosters as needed.

In the winter, my cabin temp is set in the mid-60's, the default setting for quick start is 74 with no defrost or seat heaters! I have a 'cold weather' preset I configured with defrost and seat heater, my preferred temp, but I had to manually configure airflow and fan speed, which then 'sticks' when you get in the car so you need to re-enable FULL AUTO...

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Yes it does as explained by Richard K.

The key is to not hit that big button but to click on presents. Then that takes you into another menu.
Yes, I get that. The question isn’t how do presets work. Creating a preset doesn’t seem to allow the climate system to be set to Auto but instead requires you to set the blower level and vent settings and puts it in Manual.

Theres no way to set the below circled climate settings to Auto, they revert to manual when you use the preset.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Line

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I just figured it out. You have to select Climate preset first and then start car otherwise goes to last preset that you used. There are Starlink presets in the app and one is auto and also your own presets. The weird thing is if you dont select Climate first before starting it goes to last preset..Took awhile for me to figure it out..Good luck
Yes, that’s obvious. Again, the question isn’t how to use a preset. You completely missed the question. The question is how to build a preset with the climate control set to auto vice manual.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Yeah I'm confused. When I enter my car after auto start, my climate control says "auto". But I do know the 2023 version is different then the previous with "full auto".
The OP has a 23 as well, so that’s not the issue.

Is the preset you’re using one that you created or one that came with the app? Are you suing a preset or just hitting Quick Start?

I don't use the app for remote start, so I’m just going off what the selectable setting are to build a preset.

·
Registered
2023 OB Onyx 2.5
221 Posts
The OP has a 23 as well, so that’s not the issue.

Is the preset you’re using one that you created or one that came with the app? Are you suing a preset or just hitting Quick Start?

I don't use the app for remote start, so I’m just going off what the selectable setting are to build a preset.
I'm using the app with a custom setting.

·
Registered
2023 OB Onyx 2.5
221 Posts
I reread the original post and I think I understand the question and the op is right. Here are my winter settings.

Rectangle Font Communication Device Screenshot Mobile device
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

When i enter the car, the presets are on and when the car doesn't need defrost front or rear I have to turn them off. But once I turn them off, the settings are back to what I had as my auto and then I adjust temp as necessary... But I don't see that as an issue...

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
See above. No "Auto" feature though.
Ok, so it’s the same then. So when you get in and the defroster is set, the climate settings are no longer in AUTO, until you turn off the defroster then they revert to your AUTO settings. Interesting. It still seems odd that they left out the capability to set AUTO as a setting though.

Thanks for explaining that. I assume that a lot of folks don’t use AUTO so they don’t even notice it. Seems like what the OP wants isn’t really an option, you always have to make some changes to get it back to AUTO.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,190 Posts
". . . you always have to make some changes to get it back to AUTO."
When I use the MySubaru app to remote start my car, I either use the Custom setting I created, or the Full Heat setting. When I get in the car, I simply place the system back in "FULL AUTO" and adjust things to my normal settings.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
When I use the MySubaru app to remote start my car, I either use the Custom setting I created, or the Full Heat setting. When I get in the car, I simply place the system back in "FULL AUTO" and adjust things to my normal settings.
The OPs original question is why don’t the presets you build allow you to set them up in AUTO/FULL AUTO so you don’t need to make adjustments. The capability exists, it just seems to have been left out of the apps UI for whatever reason.

·
Registered
'23 Outback XT Limited
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry folks, didn't mean to create all this confusion. It's entertaining to read though. At least a few people here understood what I'm talking about.

In this post, myth #4 describes the ability to select MANUAL or FULL AUTO, an option which no longer seems available.

And in this post there's a screen shot of the app which shows the FULL AUTO option.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Sorry folks, didn't mean to create all this confusion. It's entertaining to read though. At least a few people here understood what I'm talking about.

In this post, myth #4 describes the ability to select MANUAL or FULL AUTO, an option which no longer seems available.

And in this post there's a screen shot of the app which shows the FULL AUTO option.
Still seems odd to me that they would remove that option from the app. Either way, glad you got an answer that is at least consistent among multiple users and answers the question with a somewhat definitive answer.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2023 Outback Wilderness
49 Posts
Ok, not to drag this out BUT is there a way to use the remote function to start the car and NOT have the horn blow two times? Is there a way to just start the car without the horn?

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Ok, not to drag this out BUT is there a way to use the remote function to start the car and NOT have the horn blow two times? Is there a way to just start the car without the horn?
The capability exists, but there is no option in the apps UI for it.

If you build a Siri Shortcut on an iPhone you can though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2023 Outback Onyx 2.5L
49 Posts
I'd like to remote start my Outback, leave the HVAC set as it was when I left it (FULL AUTO, set to the temp I want) and have the option to turn on seat heaters and defrosters as needed.
This is all I want... an option to remote start the car without messing with the HVAC at all -- just leave it how I had it when I shut it off. You know, like if you got back in the car and started it! Whether that be set to AUTO, or off altogether, or anywhere in between....

A first world problem for sure, but it seems so obvious it drives me a little crazy!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts