Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2005 outback XT (2.5L turbo) i am looking for the PCV valve. On the valve covers (see pictures) there are two hoses on each side of the engine. One of them has a hose clamp and one does not. I'm not entirely sure the PCV valve(s) are on these hoses, because i don't think there are two of them. Please help.

I also noticed that there is oil/dirt around the base of the hoses on the right (Passenger) side of the engine. Is that normal for 160k? Is that a sign that the PCV valve might not be working properly? My symptoms are an occasional p0171 light (thinking it might be a faulty MAP sensor) and hesitation (and on one occasion cylinder 1 misfire) during highway driving on an extended uphill grade in 5th gear (i have the automatic tranny with sport-shift) and if i down shift to 4th gear, the hesitation/shake seems to go away.

I've searched the forums, but have not found where the PCV valve is on the 2.5L TURBO.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: unable to post pictures due to not having an online storage link for them. Hopefully people can identify them by the description... they are about 3/4" in diameter the front one does not have a hose clamp while the back one does. They are right next to each other and extend vertically from the valve covers/intake manifold.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pcv is under the tmic so without removing it your going to be looking for a while. It's a y assembly of hoses in all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pcv is under the tmic so without removing it your going to be looking for a while. It's a y assembly of hoses in all.
Thanks for the reply!

Have you change the PCV valve on your XT? I am looking for advice on this. I found this link online:

step by step PCV valve change w/ pics

I've torn cars down as far as replacing the head gaskets...but have never worked with turbos or inter-coolers before. Is there a lot of risk in removing the intercooler as far as getting leaks in it? Anything to look out for? Any way to know if the PCV valve is in need of replacement without pulling it out and shaking it? If you've replaced it before, did u just replace the valve or the whole y assembly? If the whole y assembly is replaced, are they any of those funky clips involved that seemingly need to be replaced when this job is done? I am living in an apartment complex at the moment with only my basic tools here... I do have 1/2" drive sockets with 2 6" extensions. Would you recommend getting a 19mm open end wrench for the job?

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm having a heck of a time finding the part number of this thing...most list it for the legacy gt, but not outback xt. Any ideas?

This lists just the valve: http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/replacement/wizard.asp?year=2005&make=SU&model=OUT-WOBKT-004&category=B&part=PCV+Valve

This shows a Y assembly for legacy gt: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-05-06-legacy-gt-pcv-assembly.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for dragging up this older thread, but I didn't see a reply to the part of the post about the hoses. I am interested in knowing what their function is as well and am hoping to hear from someone who is knowledgeable about them. I think I can ID them in the service manual but the diagram just says "vacuum hose". My '05 OBXT w/140,000 miles is also suffering from occasional P0171 DTCs. Mine only seem to occur when I am on the freeway after about 100 miles.

One of the hoses is split where it is attached near the valve cover. Could a leak there cause the lean fault, or would this be more of an emissions problem? The car did pass a California emissions test a month ago.

Thanks.

On my 2005 outback XT (2.5L turbo) i am looking for the PCV valve. On the valve covers (see pictures) there are two hoses on each side of the engine. One of them has a hose clamp and one does not. I'm not entirely sure the PCV valve(s) are on these hoses, because i don't think there are two of them. Please help.

I also noticed that there is oil/dirt around the base of the hoses on the right (Passenger) side of the engine. Is that normal for 160k? Is that a sign that the PCV valve might not be working properly? My symptoms are an occasional p0171 light (thinking it might be a faulty MAP sensor) and hesitation (and on one occasion cylinder 1 misfire) during highway driving on an extended uphill grade in 5th gear (i have the automatic tranny with sport-shift) and if i down shift to 4th gear, the hesitation/shake seems to go away.

I've searched the forums, but have not found where the PCV valve is on the 2.5L TURBO.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: unable to post pictures due to not having an online storage link for them. Hopefully people can identify them by the description... they are about 3/4" in diameter the front one does not have a hose clamp while the back one does. They are right next to each other and extend vertically from the valve covers/intake manifold.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Here are the pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dw3elx1rsbzw5v/0Lj-qlXZNQ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
nlitend1
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing