Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am new to the forum and hopefully put this in the right category.

I have a noise that sounds like a kid put a "performance" muffler on the family under powered 4 banger. Maybe akin to a moan like us older people make when we sit down or get up off the floor for lack of a better description.

Vehicle: 2010 Outback ... 3.6 engine ... approx. 92,000 miles

Sound appears when:

Engine - either hot or cold;

Transmission - engaged/not engaged;

Louder during accelerating ... quiets down once at cruising speed, but still in the background;

Check engine light not on;

Appears to be coming from the driver's side/engine compartment when inside vehicle;

Cannot locate where coming from when the hood is up;

Exhaust system/muffler appear to be in good shape;

No vibration associated with noise;

Does not affect drive-ability.

I know this is probably a shot in the dark for anyone to be able to give any ideas of what it is. Do not want to take it to the local stealership.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks - Ron

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Wheel bearing? Does it change when turning or increase with speed and then settle into a hum or low pitched rumble?

If you take it to the dealership they will give it back the next day with this, "Customer reports unusual sound while driving. Could not duplicate sound" and you will be no better off.

When you say transmission "not engaged" does it mean you are moving, but in neutral? Otherwise my wheel bearing theory fails.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
...I hate this game...tends to cost $$$ once the sound has been confirmed and diagnosed. :frown2:

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply

Sound does not change when turning, going straight, standing still, etc. ... just a moan/groan that increases when revving car in neutral and accelerating through the gears.

Have a feeling will have to wait until a failure occurs ... not a good feeling while driving.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,360 Posts
Exhaust system/muffler appear to be in good shape....
Look harder here. The fact that it still has the noise with the car standing still, in drive or not, and that it seems proportionate to engine rpm, suggests to me exhaust system somewhere. Concentrate on bends, joining flanges, etc.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
sometimes the intake air filter box won't 'seat'/seal properly.

have you had a helper rev the engine while you listen around under the hood?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - will do ... easy to miss things since do not have access to a hoist

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input

Air filter box is sealed/"locked" in place ... not the easiest thing to secure, but made sure all in place

Have had someone rev engine while I listen with the hood up, but difficult to locate and it is not as loud/distinct as when in the car

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have found the source of the noise - steering pump. When looking through the service manual it notes that the pump can make "growling" noise. Then while standing still with the engine running and slightly turning the wheel either direction, the noise changes in pitch and "growls" louder.

Did a complete flush, but noise still present. Looks like time for new pump - darn.

Anyone have experience with Cardone power steering pumps - good or bad? Many will say stick with OEM, but way too expensive especially when considering the longevity. I have an 88 Camry and the pump is still working and has never been replaced.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression if it were that particular O ring, there would be frothing and overflow of the fluid in the reservoir, which it has not been doing. I was going to look at that next, but with no symptoms, wondering if the internal O rings are giving problems. I know there is a video on the replacing of these rings, but it looks rather complicated.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
not sure about a car as new as 2010, but most soob PS pumps a re very robust - making replacement with a unit from a wreck a good value. If you don't have bubbles in the tank - look in the tank while a helper turns the wheel - check LKQ or car-part.com for a used pump.

might be a good idea to check any idler/tensioner pulleys in the accessory belt system. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...s-pump-sending-my-morse-code.html#post5293745

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.7L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ... tensioner/idler pulleys and alternator all replaced ... will look at tank while helper turns wheel ... thanks for the link ... sounds like A-1 Cardone can be problematic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts