Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBW 3.0 L.L. Bean - "Spam MuSubi" @ 150k miles
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The video was taken while idle. When accelerating, the noise/rattle increases. Doesn't seem to be speed sensitive, nor RPM sensitive, but rather acceleration sensitive. =)

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
974 Posts
Sounds very much like a failing serpentine belt idler pulley bearing to me. That is my best guess.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,995 Posts
How does the sound change if you do any of the following:
1) Increase or decrease electrical loading (turn on and off headlights)
2) Make the power steering pump work (turn on dry pavement so tires are scrubbing)
3) Turn on / off air conditioning

And is it doing it at cold start, when I presume the radiator fans aren't turning?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the serpentine belt tensioner bearing - anyone have a part number for this and is this a pretty DIY swap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
482 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. Did you “switch” To the pnw? ;) I’m in Seattle area. Where are you? Is there a meetup community of outback owners up here?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Awesome. Did you “switch” To the pnw? ;) I’m in Seattle area. Where are you? Is there a meetup community of outback owners up here?
Switch is my online nickname for a many things. I live down in Federal Way but work in south park area. I havnt really been to any meets, or have seen any. Sadly it seems the subie community near us keeps getting more toxic each year. People always bashing and never helping.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switch is my online nickname for a many things. I live down in Federal Way but work in south park area. I havnt really been to any meets, or have seen any. Sadly it seems the subie community near us keeps getting more toxic each year. People always bashing and never helping.
That's so sad. So, is there an existing subie community that meets up? How are they organized (NASIOC/Facebook/this forum)?

Maybe you and I can meet up and model healthy community behaviors. I'm up in Lynnwood (AKA Canada), but I'm sure we'll find a place (and more people to join us).

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's so sad. So, is there an existing subie community that meets up? How are they organized (NASIOC/Facebook/this forum)?

Maybe you and I can meet up and model healthy community behaviors. I'm up in Lynnwood (AKA Canada), but I'm sure we'll find a place (and more people to join us).
There is 2 facebook pages local for us, pnw subaru advice and pnw subaru buy sell trade. The advice one would probably be best for meets n greets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts