Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This install was about as easy as it gets. It was a perfect fit and take 10 minutes. I removed the engine cover bracket while I was in there since the mounts on the cover broke a while back so I don't use it anyways. It's compact and doesn't draw attention, almost like it's supposed to be there.

Butt dyno says there's a nice little boost to the midrange and satisfying induction noises at 3/4+ throttle. Overall very happy with it.

I also have the lower intake resonator (the one behind the bumper) removed, and am running an AFE Dryflow drop-in filter.

Excuse the dirty engine bay, impossible to keep clean in Winnipeg winters.

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Hood Vehicle Automotive design

· Premium Member
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
147 Posts
Butt dyno says there's a nice little boost to the midrange and satisfying induction noises at 3/4+ throttle. Overall very happy with it.

I also have the lower intake resonator (the one behind the bumper) removed, and am running an AFE Dryflow drop-in filter.
I must be missing something, but, is there a reason it looks stock? The airbag looks exactly the same (from memory) on my 3.6R currently.

I'd be interested in a writeup on the lower resonator, and a full review of the install w/ more photos :)

· Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must be missing something, but, is there a reason it looks stock? The airbag looks exactly the same (from memory) on my 3.6R currently.

I'd be interested in a writeup on the lower resonator, and a full review of the install w/ more photos :)
Well the job is done so the step by step ship has sailed. But disassembly amounts to detaching a hose on the driver's side of the old intake pipe, then one 10mm bolt securing the pipe to the intake manifold on the passenger side. Loosen the 2 hose clamps and pull hard.

Install is straight forward. I put the connector on the airbox first. Then attached the 90 degree connector to the intake pipe. Finally attach the other end of the pipe to the airbox while guiding the other end onto the throttle body. Tighten down the clamps. Intake comes with a 90 degree hose and a plastic nipple. Slide the short end onto the hose connector on the underside of the pipe, and the other end use the nipple to hook it up to the hose you disconnected to start the whole project. Flat screwdriver and 10mm socket are all that's needed.

The lower resonator is more of a pain, but already lots of walk through a around on that, since Subarus have had them for 25+ years and they're all more or less the same. :)

As for looks, I went with the charcoal powdercoat for a stealthy appearance. Nameless also has a red finish. Their strut bar is available in the same finishes, that's also on the to do list.

· Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
565 Posts
The gains (if true) are pretty substantial for an intake but for over $300? That's hard to swallow.
You can get the exact same thing, a tube with no bellows that looks like that, by modifying your stock one.

And you get much more induction noise (even without modifying the intake tube) by just pulling out the intake box resonator.

Do the second one, and if you dont like it, just put it back in.
First one is a one-way street, unless you buy a second intake tube.

· Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
418 Posts
The gains (if true) are pretty substantial for an intake but for over $300? That's hard to swallow.
Right? I am interested but for nearly $500 Cdn after shipping and duties... it's simply not worth it for a smooth pipe and two $10 couplers.

2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,097 Posts
I don't know that there is a performance gain that's real world to me from the smooth bore intake, at least based on the Nameless dyno chart. I mean my RPMs are 1,700 to maybe 3,000 and there isn't much of a gain where that I could say, "Man, that's power!"

That aside, the intake looks cool as hell and if mine broke I'd probably drop the coin for one.

· Registered
35 Posts
I just like my red on red aesthetic. Personally love the red powder coating job they did on these, they took a lot of care and time to design something that looks nice and is quite functional. Don't even need to to remove the air intake sensor which is nice.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts