Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. After trying to find a car that is all-wheel drive, large, with a hatchback, I searched online about the car models and found Audi all-track, Volvo V60, and of course, everything was pointing towards the Subaru Outback. I want a car that can go on unpaved roads, go uphill in snow, and in which I can sleep if necessary.

I am just curious about one thing. For a budget of 3000-8000$, which used Subaru Outback might be mechanically most reliable (engine, drivetrain, transmission, etc). One that basically runs even without regular maintenance.

Which generation of Outback, which engine, and which transmission would be the most rock solid Outback?

I was thinking probably a H6 3.0 is more reliable than H4 2.5 engine. What do you say?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Without regular maintenance? Stick to a bus pass. Not even joking.

Once you accept that all cars need maintenance of some sort:

the 3.0 wants premium fuel, so be ready for that. It will run on regular, but performance and MPG both suffer.

the 3.0 doesn't need timing belt service and the 2.5 does. That's a very expensive maintenance item. If you get a 2.5, verify that it was done recently so you won't have to think about it for a long time. Get paperwork to prove it.

Both need regular oil changes, and monitoring for consumption or leakage at least until you get to know the car. This is also true for any used car from any brand or era.

Going uphill in snow has more to do with the tires than anything else. Think about walking up a snowy hill in flip-flops vs spiky boots. It's no different for the car, the right kicks matter.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, yes, I have learned my lesson. I will always properly maintain my car. And I will look for one always properly maintained.

In the meantime I checked out a 2004 model H6 and a 2011 model H4, and the 2011 model is a big upgrade over the older model in terms of interior space, I like it! The H6 engine is powerful but consumes too much for me, it consumes around 13.0L/100km while the 2011 H4 with CVT consumes 9.0L in day to day driving and that CVT is great! Much better than the auto, I loved it!

Looking at these two Subarus I noticed the interior is not cleaned at the two dealerships I checked with dog hair and things like that. Ugh...

So my question again (I’d probably go for an H4 because consumption); which years are really really reliable? And what about the reliability of the transmission?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
with used cars, future reliability is MUCH more likely with well-maintained and currently pristine vehicles of ANY manufacture, than tied to certain makes/models. A 'specific' old Toyota could be a worse purchase than a 'specific' Jeep. So, take your time searching.

locate a local Subaru-experienced repair shop, have a conversation focused on 2 subjects; 1. how much would a pre-purchase inspection cost and what is the procedure for that, 2. do you have any customers with a Subaru that have mentioned wanting to sell.

the 2nd gen car you found - the floor will fold flat and the rear headrest can be put in backwards to make a pillow!

my gut feeling is, you can probably find something OK for $6K, but put $2k into a 'car fund' and continue to put money in it for struts or axles or timing belt or radiator or....?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
where in the universe are you looking....as you got a funny IP for someone that types such good English.

# 1 thing to look for is rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where in the universe are you looking....as you got a funny IP for someone that types such good English.
You mean me? If so, I’m flattered! Where do you see the IP?

I am based in Switzerland but often abroad (lately in Southeastern Europe).

Can I check the rust myself by sight? Or do I need a professional check it?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,277 Posts
Outbacks of the vintage you are looking at tend to rust behind the rear doors. Often, one can open a rear door and see signs of rust. Other times, the rust may be seen over the rear wheels (under the plastic arches)

Also, the rear 'subframe' (the differential is bolted to it) can rust.

By the same token, I have seen Outbacks of that vintage have EXCELLENT body-integrety if they were driven in an area where no roadsalt is used. My buddy has an old Outback with nearly 200K miles on it but there is very little rust underneath.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
You mean me? If so, I’m flattered! Where do you see the IP?

I am based in Switzerland but often abroad (lately in Southeastern Europe).

Can I check the rust myself by sight? Or do I need a professional check it?
I can see it as a mod, comes up as near Zagreb, Croatia.,

I was looking to steer the discussion from what is best for where you are. (like Maine, vs. Arizona, vs. ....Croatia).

_____

on a 2000-2004 look for rust in the rear door jams before and over the rear tire. (in world spec #s that would be 1999-2003).

the later ones do not rust like that,...look under the Apillars though, and at the parts hanging below the body underneath, although things like axles can be swapped.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
where you are there you may find more foresters available.

I would not want a gen1 forester. (first 5 years). = those lean too much. but got better for their gen2.

___

about rust up over the rear axles:
outbacks and legacys have rear subframes that come off with some heat, if they need to be replaced from rust.

foresters and the similar impreza have a weirder rear cross member that kind of rusts itself into the main body, ...so its kind of terminal if that rusts.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
@Mauro62 lives in northern Italy and managed to find a good used 2007 NA MT Outback. He lives around Venezia, not too far from you, and might have some ideas about where to look for more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi gxbag, I'm in Italy, Bergamo, you know?
In Italy you can find several H4 with gpl, Subaru Italy did the plant and sold the cars with"factory" gpl.
I own one of this.
The advantage of searching an H6 is that is possible to find one with less kilometres on top (because of the price of gasoline in Italy) . Not advisable to convert the H6 with gpl.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts