Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i EJ253 almost stock w Rallitek overload coils in rear
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Nashville, TN, and I need head gaskets & cam seals this year on my 2006 Outback 2.5i. Can anyone recommend someone?

I had a "cautionary" experience at the Wyatt Johnson dealership in Clarkesville, and besides that I'd normally go to a private expert rather than a dealership. I know someone in Columbus, OH, but since I moved that doesn't help me much.

I searched all the Subaru forums online and got a couple names off past posts, but they were "I heard of someone who might be ok" instead of any real experience. I'd try this job myself but I don't have the tools, facility, or time.

Any personal recommendations would be appropriated! :) :)

~Nicole

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.

Nashville is about 5 hours away from me, so I'm sadly no help here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you guys for replying!
/bump/
There is a subaru shop out in Smyrna if you search craigslist. I can pm details. It's not ASME certified. They fixed my headgaskets and did a great job on a clutch for a 2007. Would definitely recommend for clutch jobs. Sadly the bottom end of my engine blew a week later @ 170k miles. Engine never overheated under my watch. But I cannot guarantee the previous owner did not overheat the engine. There were some white specs on the top sound deadening material of the front hoot plastic / fiber when you look closely. This lends me to believe there was a coolant burn off at some point and possible over heating before I bought the car or maybe just a pinhole leak in a radiator hose or top radiator plastic. Impossible to know for sure. Either way it was unfortunate to pay then have a dead engine, but was probably just coincidence on an engine well past it's prime.

I never knew if the engine blowing was related to the head gasket replacement. Error code was for the VVT cams right before it blew. I want to believe it was not related though and that there is just an oil'ing problem on the bottom end of the 2.5L N/A subaru engines.

Separate topic @ your own risk. I think boxer engines are the most reliable engines in the world below 3,500rpm. AKA: 50mph on back roads. Easily expect north of 300,000miles. But I think there is a problem with the oil channel inside when run north of 4,500rpms under load (no load - no issues) for more than 10 seconds continuously without lifting the gas. I think this is why people say it doesn't last long when abused. Personally, I don't consider waiting until an engine oil is up to operating temperature and then staying well below the redline.... abusing an engine. But what do I know, I'm just an engineer. And I still buy Subarus knowing this.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, '08 Volvo V70
27 Posts
Bass Tire on Nolensville Rd is where all my inlaws take their cars and Bass Tire fixed the AC in my Volvo for half the price of the Volvo dealer (I live in NC and Bass treated me like family). The owner brings in breakfast biscuits and coffee for customers who need to wait for their cars to be repaired and they guarantee their work. Great place to take your car. Bass Tire Company

Just noticed the OP posted in 2017 but nevertheless....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts