Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me start by saying my family is a Subaru family, (except for my Evo, but that's not important), My mom has had Subaru's for 30 years! and we owned 5 at one time! me having 3 of those. My father ALWAYS makes sure she has the best snow tires because she travels 100 miles a day for work. We've had cooper weather master's and the ST2 version, the Original Hakkapeliitta's then a few sets of winterforce's. (which we're cheap and great for what they were), now on Hakkapeliitta 5's. so it's time that i look for snows for my 06 OBS L.L. Bean. I've had friends that had Blizzak's and love them. they only ones they make in the size i need are (225/60/17) WS70's. I'm also thinking about just biting the bullet and getting Hakkapeliitta 7's. the guy at the shop i go to wants me on Hakkapeliitta R's. I drive 100 miles a day and the roads SUCK in the winter! but i'm asking what you guys think?

I also found CONTINENTAL CONTIICECONTACT (STUDDED) in my size but you cant get them in the US!!! WTF!

My next question is can you fit a 16" wheel over the brakes? this may open some other options as far as with and sizes. id really like a 215 or a 205 not a 225 for the winter.

thanks for your help! LET IT EFFIN SNOW!!!

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
You have a '06 Outback SPORT, correct? If that is so, then the 16" rims will work fine. The stock tire size for that car is a 205/55R16. You should have no trouble finding tires that will work for you.

Tire Rack has quite a few options in your size for snow tires, studded and studless.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
Since you drive 100 miles a day, you might want to consider treadlife and rolling resistance (i.e. fuel economy) as well:
(100 miles/day) * (5 days/week) * (~4.5 weeks/month) * (~4 months [[1/2 of November, December, January, February, and 1/2 of March]]) = 9,000 miles

The typical treadlife for Blizzak users is around 13,000 miles to 15,000 miles according to tirerack. So, you're looking at maybe a season and a half of use before needing replacements.

The new Michelin X-ice Xi3 was at the top of the most recent Consumer Reports studless winter tire rankings (tied with the previous gen Xi2), for and comes with 40,000 mile treadlife warranty and has the Michelin "Green X" tag for low rolling resistance. Granted the WS70 is still probably better on deep snow and marginally better on ice.

I haven't researched much into the Hakkapelita R's for tread life since I cannot justify the price difference between Bridgestones and Michelins where I'd be serious about buying them. That said, they supposedly have one of the lowest rolling resistances of winter tires out there while being one of the best winter tires for various conditions. So, for you, the price difference between Blizzaks and Hakka's could be offset by the cost of gasoline through the seasons.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
Granted the WS70 is still probably better on deep snow and marginally better on ice.
Just to qualify this statement, I meant that in regard to the Xi2 as I have not yet seen a true comparisons between the WS70 and the Xi3 (apart from nearer to the end of each tire's treadlife in a meet and greet Michelin organized http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-x-ice-xi3-winter-tire-reviews/12491.html). The fact that Michelin wouldn't pit a less used Xi3 against a less used WS70 still tells me there are some areas where the Xi3 is lacking since I would advertise to the world that my tires trounce Blizzaks if they did.

·
Registered
2006 H6 3.0R LL Bean wagon and 2000 H4 OBW
453 Posts
Cooper makes a snow tire and it looks like they have a 205 16.

I have Cooper CS4 touring on our 06 Outback and Cooper Discover ST's on the Land Cruiser. I don't know anything about the snow tire but here is the info on it.

CooperTiresConsumer - Weather-Master S/T 2

What I like about Cooper is they are made in the USA and they are aftermarket only. Meaning they build tires to the specs they think best, not the ones the OEM's want them to to cheapen the costs for there own interests.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
Love my Blizzaks (see sig for specs and rims). I believe the X-Ice will last longer though, which might be the kicker seeing how much you drive.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Limited
35 Posts
I'd look at the General Altimax Arctic too. In TireRack they have excellent marks based on a high number of reviews. I'm debating between the Bridgestone WS70 (bought a set last year for my wife's Odyssey in 215/65 16 and I they were great, the few times we got to actually used them in the snow) and the General Arctic's. Both are available in 215/65 17, both have the same thread depth. The Altimax is a pound heavier (27 vs 26) and is not as good in ice (according to the ratings from the reviews) but can be studded for $15 a piece.

I'm looking forward to getting a lot of snow too :)

·
Registered
2019 2.5i premium white w black 2005 2.5i 5 spd manual wagon
24 Posts
Found this on the Bridgestone website. I just got some WS70's today for my Outback. The tire rack web site says the OEM size for the OBS are 225/55/17.
I am like you and put a slightly narrower tire on for the winter (215's instead of 225's) They also list the 225/55R17's as available in the WS70 as well.

Tire rack carries both.

Tire 215/60R17
Size

Service 96T
Desc

Load
Range

Speed T
Rating

Sidewall BL
Styling

Article 109965
Number

Appr. Rim 6.0-7.5
Width

Overall Tire 27.2
Diameter

Tread 12
Depth

Tire 24
Weight

Warranty 0
Milles

Warranty 0
Km

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, I looked at the generals and they look like they would tear up the snow. But, they don't last as long as I would like. I think i'm gonna just bite the bullet and pull the trigger on the Hakkapeliitta 7's they're gonna be around 170 each but they are studded and they're not normal studs. If you haven't seen them, I really suggest checking them out. Like I said I've had them in the past (not the 7's) but, I've always had great luck with Nokian tires. They do testing for these tires in the Alps so I think they're gonna do just fine in upstate NY...lol also they have one of the lowest rolling resistances for snow tires on the market even beating out NON-studded tires. they also have the symbol of a mountain with a snowflake in it. This means the tire complies with the severe snow standard. The website below can help explain how the symbol works. it's toward the bottom of the page. Once I get them on I will take pics and keep everyone up-to-date on how they perform. I'm sure the first part of the season (now) will be wet and dry handling and how it changes as the temperature drops. I will probably have them installed toward the end of the month or next month. I don't want to beat the **** out of them for no reason i'm guessing they're gonna be around $800 after tax and all the BS that goes into buying them.

Here's that website:
Snow Tyres Severe Service Emblem+

It doesn't seem like many if anyone had ran this tire on here, so i'm gonna be that guy! plan on a full review and lets see if I can convert some of you Blizzak guys into Nokian believers! I'm actually really excited to get these on and try them out in some hellish storms and im not afraid to try to take them and get it stuck! which i might be able to do at my own house I have some steep grades in my own driveway if I choose to point it that way. I will also include pics!

Is there another place you want tire reviews, or should I start a new thread for it also?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts