Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody first timer here. So I recently bought a 2012 outback 3.6r with 150k miles. Been driving it about a month and loving it. Then all of the sudden while sitting in traffic the nav screen started freaking out with lines all over the place and flashing. The radio kept playing and the touch screen still works. Been about a week now of this, the screen turns on and looks normal then out of the blue starts glitching. My one thought so far is perhaps there's a graphics card in the nav that's failing. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Wish I could look at the picture, but I get the error that I'm forbidden (I would have hoped that was a general issue that'd been fixed already).

Can you go to a different application on your head unit and have it display properly once it is in that state?

The question that may be answered by that is if it's specific to the navigation application or if it's present for all applications once it starts. If it doesn't remain in that bad state by switching out of the navigation application, keep other applications open and see if it happens there as well.

I don't know how buggy the previous head units were compared to what I've got, but I suspect the older ones are similar enough for their hardware that they also have (and need) a cooling fan because of the computer hardware; an overheated GPU would be prone to weird output and malfunctions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's during all functions. Even reverse camera. I can still use the touch screen if I can remember where things are located. Lately it's been started immediately after turning the car on too.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
The GPU itself may be ok but the cooling is blocked up. A lot of GPUS in today's laptop and desktop computers have fans of their own: if only this were a regular desktop computer!

Is it something that if the car sits in a cool spot long enough, that it goes back to working for at least a short time ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we've had a couple cooler mornings in the 50s and it has been working several days in a row for about 20 mins. But after that it starts glitching again regardless of the temps outside. I've taken the whole unit out once now but havent attempted to open it up. You think the fan etc would be serviceable?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Gentlemen,

I strongly suspect that the ribbon cable that runs from the GPS/radio?backup camera unit to the touch screen is not making a complete connection at the edge of the touch screen.

In recent months I've run across similar descriptions on other cars and ipads, etc., (search YouTube for examples) and the fix is to remove the screen assembly from the head unit and resolder the ribbon cable connections at the screen.

If one didn't want to tackle the soldering issue themselves, you can purchase a new touch screen on eBay, etc. You'll have to get the manufacturer's parts numbers, etc., off your old one. I could be wrong but I think you'll find this is your issue. Or you can try these guys in the link below.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts