Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2013 has a terrible issue with the NAV volume. The range of adjustment between normal and unbearably loud is less than 1/2" on the screen. It goes from barely audible to blasting loud.

Anyone else have this problem? Of course dealer says it is normal.

Also, anyway to get rid of the "I Agree" when you first start the car? Takes a long time to load up before you can hit the button...

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
It's normal and you can't get rid of the "I Agree" prompt.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I solved my problem by turning it completely off. I am dying to get rid of the "I Agree" prompt. It drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I have the same problem and posted about it a couple weeks ago. My service guy said "it can't be adjusted" and expected me to just put up with it. I've been writing to Subaru directly and they're giving me the run-around as well. I did get them to set up a meeting with the head of service at my dealer to check it out next week. Stay tuned. I expect one of the standard responses when a company doesn't want to stand behind their product by admitting and fixing mistakes: that's normal, I don't see anything wrong, they all work that way, there's nothing we can do, etc. My response to Subaru has been to point out that of course they can correct the problem/defect. They can replace the entire Nav system or even the car. Of course that will never happen.

This is my third car with a built-in Nav and neither of the others had this problem. I asked the Subaru rep how she would feel if she purchased an expensive flat screen TV and found that even at its lowest setting, the volume was way too loud. She ignored the question.

Meanwhile I've been keeping my voice guidance off as well, but I'm am not the least bit satisfied with this. I didn't pay thousands for this feature only to turn it off due to a defect on Subaru's part. Hopefully enough people will complain so they have to take some action. As someone said, it probably requires a firmware upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Oh, and by the way, the "I agree" screen was standard on my other two cars' NAV systems as well. I guess it's the manufacturer's attempt to limit their liability if you get in a collision while programming your GPS. Funny that I can play all I want with the audio options while driving, and that's just as distracting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove one with nav at the default volume settings. When it hit me with the first guidance, I nearly drove off the road! Neither I nor my passenger could change it until I finally pulled off the road...I'm still not sure if we were just stunned by the seemingly 150+ dB noise or locked out because we were moving... I finally got it set to the lowest possible setting, and it was still loud to my ears (well, after they recovered).

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
The volume is one of many major problems. The following quote in the navigation manual just before the section on setting the volume is a hoot:

“Be sure to set the volume of the audio at an appropriate level, improper volume setting may result in hearing damage or a traffic accident.”

Others have documented lots of problems in other threads/posts. Also, the current issue of Road and Track has a write up on their long term test of a 2013 Subaru BRZ with navigation:

“The nav system is also one of the worst we’ve encountered, with an impenetrable and non-intuitive interface, a persistent inability to figure out the car’s location, and a tendency to lose its satellite signal every ten minutes.”

I’ve asked my dealer to let me know when firmware updates are available, but after lots of lost signals and errors during a recent 1100 mile trip, I think hardware is part of the problem too.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2019 Ascent Touring .... SOLD : 2015 Outback 3.6 w/ES. 18 Crosstrek, 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia. SOLD-13 Outback 2.5 SAP. Traded-10 2.5i Legacy Limited.
237 Posts
Our 2013 has a terrible issue with the NAV volume. The range of adjustment between normal and unbearably loud is less than 1/2" on the screen. It goes from barely audible to blasting loud.

Anyone else have this problem? Of course dealer says it is normal.

Also, anyway to get rid of the "I Agree" when you first start the car? Takes a long time to load up before you can hit the button...
See if your eligible for the aha upgrade ($100.) and the firmware upgrade (free) lots of members have resolved problems this way. That is normal and most came with the volume that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts