Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outaback 2.5i Limited with eyesight.
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure this one out but at night the Navigation isn't auto-dimming or switching to night mode like it should. I've gone into settings on the home page and I have the brightness set to "Auto" And the NAV is set to "Auto". Am I missing something or is there an issue with my navigation. Last night I had to go in and manually set it to "night".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess a more accurate description would be. Navigation isn't automatically switching to night mode at night.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I got my car last Thursday and a general pattern I see is the head unit doesn't remember what you last did and seems to not communicate settings: it's buggy.

The most atrocious design defect is the modal "Lost Signal" "Advisory Message" when the satellite radio loses signal: it blocks any and everything you're doing or looking at on the screen, regardless of if you are even doing anything related to the satellite radio signal, and yet, there's an area that shows signal strength already.

Subaru needs to apply the same level of detail to the head units they put in (white boxed) for such things as the rest of the dashboard lights.

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your NAV switch to night mode at night? What are your settings? I'm frustrated with this. I also get the advisory message and agree it's annoying but no where near as annoying as staring at a huge bright white light with the map up and I shouldn't have to manually switch it to night mode either. I must be missing something obvious.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
need to rip this stuff out, put in simple radio of knob nd buttons, no touchscreen should be in ANY SAFE car. give me knobs, buttons, levers and pushbuttons. I simply will never own a car with a touchscreen, and they should be outlawed and made illegal, and a recall should be in the next 5 years to get them off the road in ALL cars. Cars that have touchscreen should require insurance premiums at 1000 times a non-touch screened car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,590 Posts
need to rip this stuff out, put in simple radio of knob nd buttons, no touchscreen should be in ANY SAFE car. give me knobs, buttons, levers and pushbuttons. I simply will never own a car with a touchscreen, and they should be outlawed and made illegal, and a recall should be in the next 5 years to get them off the road in ALL cars. Cars that have touchscreen should require insurance premiums at 1000 times a non-touch screened car.
I hear ya'! I, too, think touchscreens are a terrible idea in cars for safety reasons because you can't operate their controls by feel, and the controls they offer are more complex because they can be, and sometimes have to be.

Worst in my (very limited) experience was a Taurus we rented a couple years ago. Even that car's climate controls were operated through the main touchscreen - you couldn't just turn a knob to make the temperature warmer or colder, or a different knob to change from heat to defrost, or change the fan speed; sometimes you had to navigate to a different screen to get to those controls, all of which which meant taking your eyes off the road. Ick! Maybe there was a better way to do this in that particular car, but it had no owner's manual in it and we only had it for a couple of days (in Syracuse, NY in January, so we needed the heat and defrost!)

I do recognize they're pretty much all we'll get from now on, though. *Sigh.*

Maybe the way to "sell" the advantages of controls that can be operated by feel to the public is emphasizing how convenient it is when the driver doesn't have to look up from his texts to change the cabin temperature! *Sigh.*

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Turn down the intensity, you have the interior light too bright.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Outback
16 Posts
I can't figure this one out but at night the Navigation isn't auto-dimming or switching to night mode like it should. I've gone into settings on the home page and I have the brightness set to "Auto" And the NAV is set to "Auto". Am I missing something or is there an issue with my navigation. Last night I had to go in and manually set it to "night".
Got mine to work by dimming the overall dash lights by adjusting the wheel dial to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear ya'! I, too, think touchscreens are a terrible idea in cars for safety reasons because you can't operate their controls by feel, and the controls they offer are more complex because they can be, and sometimes have to be.

Worst in my (very limited) experience was a Taurus we rented a couple years ago. Even that car's climate controls were operated through the main touchscreen - you couldn't just turn a knob to make the temperature warmer or colder, or a different knob to change from heat to defrost, or change the fan speed; sometimes you had to navigate to a different screen to get to those controls, all of which which meant taking your eyes off the road. Ick! Maybe there was a better way to do this in that particular car, but it had no owner's manual in it and we only had it for a couple of days (in Syracuse, NY in January, so we needed the heat and defrost!)

I do recognize they're pretty much all we'll get from now on, though. *Sigh.*

Maybe the way to "sell" the advantages of controls that can be operated by feel to the public is emphasizing how convenient it is when the driver doesn't have to look up from his texts to change the cabin temperature! *Sigh.*
Touch screens are "multi-function". Almost all vehicles including airplanes have switched to MFDs (Multi-Function Displays). Makes it easy to upgrade functionality without changing the interface. The benefits outweigh the annoyances I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts