Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 3.6 touring
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I would like to do this. I currently have a 2017 outback 3.6r with Falken Wild Peaks on it. I just have never done sand before.... I know from hanging around jeeps for years I have to air down. I'm also wondering if any other outback has done it or is pure 4x4 highly recommended.

(Picture for example only)
Water Sky Cloud Tire Car

·
Premium Member
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
87 Posts
Hi,

Please see thread. Fellow NC here...

If you're more curious about what gear I actually used, just lmk.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have never done it with my Outback, but have done it with my Ford Ranger. In a nutshell, the area of most risk is getting onto the beach at the beach access. That is largely due to much larger 4WD vehicles really churning the sand at the entry point and making it soft. As long as you air down and stay out of the churned sand, you will be OK.

Also see post number 5. Make sure your air pump for airing up can handle that part. Do not run the smaller pumps too long as they will get hot.

Watch the tides and high tide marks. Damp hard sand is your friend. Dry and soft is not. Also when entering the beach, if you have your partner go out to the beach ( or walk it yourself to see waht is out there) to watch traffic so you do not have to stop for a vehicle leaving the beach, as stopping in soft sand can get you stuck.

There is also an ORV beach permit needed. Permits & Reservations - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service).

Reactions: carajean
1 - 7 of 7 Posts