Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd be up for that. I've been looking to get a group together in the spring to go out to Uwharrie to mess around on the easier trails and fire roads out there.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Ltd with Nav, Eyesite, loaded.
148 Posts
I might be up for that also. I live in Waynesville and am on my second OB.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5xt, Automatic
18 Posts
I would be willing to hang out with some outback owners and get on some trails. I am located in Cameron, NC

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a great idea...only don't have OB yet. Did convince the wife this should be our next car. Can you guys help me out, haven't been able to find thread with much comparison of the 6 cylinder -vs- the 4. She definitely wants the leather so looks like we care going with Limited. If we are okay with lower MPG, would you recommend the 6? Any other input on buying new OB. Thanks mates

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
I go down trails with mine, but it would be great to have others around to try more intimidating places. I'm down!

tomcecc said:
6 cylinder -vs- the 4.
No timing belt to worry about on the 6, but no manual tranny available. I have driven my four-banger with five adults and full truck up hills. Not fast, but it does fine. I am sure the six would zip...

James

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm definitely cool with a gathering. Didn't have the gumption to do any trails in the uhwarries by myself. Just a stock wagon with a light bar and exhaust. I'm in school and normally work on the weekends so I'll need at least a month to ask off from work.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Aren't the trails in Uwharrie rock-crawling trails? That would definitely be, intense! If not, I would like to check out that area. I have never really been east except to my parent's new place in Rockingham county. I am also in school, but don't have a 'real' job, so I never know when I work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aren't the trails in Uwharrie rock-crawling trails? That would definitely be, intense! If not, I would like to check out that area. I have never really been east except to my parent's new place in Rockingham county. I am also in school, but don't have a 'real' job, so I never know when I work.
I'm up in Boone all the time visiting friends. I actually plan to go get my Masters at ASU once I'm done at Catawba. Know of any good trails nearby? Maybe we could meet up and hit a few of them.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Ya there are some places. Some I haven't gone to for the simple fact of needing a second vehicle "just in case." Not all places need mods, just need to know how to pick a line.

I currently go to ASU, getting my bachelor's, as an "older" student... It is an ok school in a fantatsic area if you like outdoor recreational pursuits.

It be great to go riding. Shoot me a PM next time you come up!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ya there are some places. Some I haven't gone to for the simple fact of needing a second vehicle "just in case." Not all places need mods, just need to know how to pick a line.

I currently go to ASU, getting my bachelor's, as an "older" student... It is an ok school in a fantatsic area if you like outdoor recreational pursuits.

It be great to go riding. Shoot me a PM next time you come up!
Yeah, no mods as of yet except for a Rally Innovations Light bar, which unfortunately severely affects my approach angles. I've already ripped it off once. As well as a magnaflow oval muffler, only because the old muffler 'whistled.' I plan to lift it this summer on King Springs and get General Grabber AT2's.

I also truly enjoy the outdoors, looking into getting a canoe for the girlfriend and myself. Unfortunately can't do much in the ways of extreme sports due to medical limitations. Mostly just keep it to mild hikes and starting to camp more.

I'm also an older student, sort of, in that I'm 22 and a sophomore. So not much older than these other kids, but enough that there are noticeable differences in life experiences.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Dude, I cannot recommend the grabbers. i have them now. Great in dirt, gravel, etc, but horrible in snow. Maybe not horrible, but just like all seasons.

I know about ripping stuff off the front! I am on bumper #2, and I have just cut the bottom off. Plus side is that I know the limits of a stock outback on all seasons!

I am 29 and a junior, but my major is full of older students. Retired mil, ex-shop owners, outward bounders looking to advance, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dude, I cannot recommend the grabbers. i have them now. Great in dirt, gravel, etc, but horrible in snow. Maybe not horrible, but just like all seasons.

I know about ripping stuff off the front! I am on bumper #2, and I have just cut the bottom off. Plus side is that I know the limits of a stock outback on all seasons!

I am 29 and a junior, but my major is full of older students. Retired mil, ex-shop owners, outward bounders looking to advance, etc.
I am not worried about them for snow, I plan on having them as an extra set to swap on when I want to go play. I work at Higgins Automotive (don't know if you've heard of it, we have a few customers in Boone) and we have a set of studded snow tires just sitting there I'm thinking of picking up. I've heard 15" wheels will fit 2000 and 2001 but that they changed the caliper in 2002. Just haven't test fitted it.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Supposedly 10/2001 is the change date for the brakes. I think with a 2000 you are pretty much garranteed to have the ability to fit 15" wheels. If we ever get a winter again, you will appreciate the studs. I have never driven anything with studs, but if they are even close to chains you'll be set!

·
Registered
2001 Outback. H6, 3.0 LL bean
14 Posts
I realize this thread is a bit old ..

I'm not ready for prime time yet, am still accumulating parts to recondition my new to me '01 H6.

But am willing to meet up and bang out the trails when my ride is up and running. I've run Uwharrie a few times in my Jeep and on my bikes. The rocks are a bit too technical for a subbie I think though, definitely should be done as a group so recovery is an option.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i, Crystal White, Slate Black Cloth, Eyesight, Moonroof, Nav, 20mm RSB
610 Posts
Wondering if we can revive this. I'd love to meet some other Subie owners, esp. in the Piedmont. Back road/fire road driving sounds like fun. I'd definitely want to do it in a group, as I'm stone stock, with stock tires.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Option Package 21 Carbide Gray
7 Posts
Pisgah Forest, NC here..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts