Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited 5A, 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium CVT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 58 yrs. old and use to do my own wrenching... but not so much any more. Back in the day, I had a ‘70 Z-28. Rarely lost a race. Did my own wrenching then... Drag racing, street racing. Different time. Those days are behind me. Spirited driving is still something I allow myself, on occasion... but nothing like when I was younger. :wink2:
I live in Omaha, NE, and drive an ‘11 OB 3.6R LTD. Very nice car! Runs pretty good, too! Uses a little oil... especially when driven enthusiastically. 1 to 2 Quarts per oil change. I’m fairly impressed with the balance of performance and gas mileage. I like the way it drives... especially in snow! I’ve had it about 4 months...
I’ve installed a K&N air filter, and am considering upgrading the exhaust. Probably going to install new brakes soon, also. It performs well, gets good mileage and stops just fine. No Drama... just thinking it might have a bit more on tap with a little tweaking. Don’t want it loud. A healthy tone would be OK... but don’t want to draw any attention to myself. I put BFG Advantage T/A’s (P225 60R/17) H-Rated tires on the stock wheels and think they are very good for where/how I drive. I am interested in knowing more about the available “chip” upgrades, also.
Any information on local Gurus in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa would be greatly appreciated. A guy I know with a Muffler Shop has a pair of real good Borla Mufflers some guy replaced ‘cause they weren’t loud enough. I may consider these, but haven’t seen them yet... or my current exhaust, either. Just beginning my research...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
K and N traditional wet ones never get actually clean.
(more and more fine dust get in them overtime, making things worse and worse). I have watched someone change a 318 dodge engine because it was starved for air over a long period. (that was owned by logger, so it seen lots of offroad dust )

I would toss a wet one in the trash. and buy a couple paper ones and stack them up.

stand alone chips are not the subaru way.

@west_minist = Ed from XRT tuning is one tuner that works with subaru H6, and many of the H6 people that regularly contribute to this board have his tunes for the engine and 5EAT trans.

just need a Tactrix $168 dongle, Free Romraider and a typical windows laptop.

want more then mufflers, try Raptor Headers.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
471 Posts
I’m 58 yrs. old and use to do my own wrenching... but not so much any more. Back in the day, I had a ‘70 Z-28. Rarely lost a race. Did my own wrenching then... Drag racing, street racing. Different time. Those days are behind me. Spirited driving is still something I allow myself, on occasion... but nothing like when I was younger. :wink2:
I live in Omaha, NE, and drive an ‘11 OB 3.6R LTD. Very nice car! Runs pretty good, too! Uses a little oil... especially when driven enthusiastically. 1 to 2 Quarts per oil change. I’m fairly impressed with the balance of performance and gas mileage. I like the way it drives... especially in snow! I’ve had it about 4 months...
I’ve installed a K&N air filter, and am considering upgrading the exhaust. Probably going to install new brakes soon, also. It performs well, gets good mileage and stops just fine. No Drama... just thinking it might have a bit more on tap with a little tweaking. Don’t want it loud. A healthy tone would be OK... but don’t want to draw any attention to myself. I put BFG Advantage T/A’s (P225 60R/17) H-Rated tires on the stock wheels and think they are very good for where/how I drive. I am interested in knowing more about the available “chip” upgrades, also.
Any information on local Gurus in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa would be greatly appreciated. A guy I know with a Muffler Shop has a pair of real good Borla Mufflers some guy replaced ‘cause they weren’t loud enough. I may consider these, but haven’t seen them yet... or my current exhaust, either. Just beginning my research...

Welcome! I'm in Omaha as well and have a '17 OB 3.6R. Adding a custom tune was the best thing I did for performance. I run an AFE drop in filter (not a fan of K&N), and I had a custom Magnaflow catback made. It sounds very good, but does drone a bit. I'm thinking of stopping back into All Pro (60th & L) and having Keith, the owner install a j-tube to reduce drone.

My OB is also lowered with a front strut tower brace, and an updated 19mm rear sway bar. I also have aftermarket bushings for the f/r sway bars which helped. All I need is wider wheels and better tires.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response/advice. Reading about the Raptor Headers... looking at MagnaFlow “Header” with Converters, etc... I saw on Summit Website. Expensive, tho... just beginning the learning process for best bang for buck, and what works, and costs, etc...
I had a K&N on my Z-28... and it was great. That was over 35 years ago, tho... I just went with a known/trusted brand. I also use them on my Can-Am (vintage) Dirt Bikes. Vintage is a key word, isn’t it? They came as stock equipment, and were considered the hot set-up... usually reserved for after-market purchases. I should have waited to buy the K&N until after I started learning more, I guess. Oh well. One thing I recall about K&N’s is that they filter more effectively after they get a little dirty. But, again, that is OLD information, and may not apply to the products they make for my OB.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! I'm in Omaha as well and have a '17 OB 3.6R. Adding a custom tune was the best thing I did for performance. I run an AFE drop in filter (not a fan of K&N), and I had a custom Magnaflow catback made. It sounds very good, but does drone a bit. I'm thinking of stopping back into All Pro (60th & L) and having Keith, the owner install a j-tube to reduce drone.

My OB is also lowered with a front strut tower brace, and an updated 19mm rear sway bar. I also have aftermarket bushings for the f/r sway bars which helped. All I need is wider wheels and better tires.
Hey Flat6Brick, thanks for responding! I’m realizing that I have a LOT to learn about this car! I was looking last night at the MagnaFlow Exhaust on Summit Racing’s Website... they are a “header” with Catalytic Converters... and about $1000 for both sides. That doesn’t include Mufflers or Tailpipes. Are you familiar with those?
My first question is; are the factory exhaust “manifolds” or “head pipes” pretty good/efficient, or are they restrictive. I haven’t been able to find a photo of one yet via Googling. If I can get to the familiar Muffler Shop in Lincoln, he’ll put it up in the air and we can get a good look at everything. That’s where I planned to start.
You’ve done quite a few upgrades to your ‘17 3.6R... what do the heavier Sway Bars do for ride quality and rough-terrain driving?
What do you notice from the performance bushings? What effect did lowering the front end have, also? What kind of driving are you aiming at gaining the most improvement for?
I must sound like a 12-year old kid, with all these questions! Ha! Just curious, and wanting to find out what does what. I am enjoying this process, and want to maximize the OB for my driving pleasure!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And you can too...you would only be the second OB/Leggy in Nebraska ...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/458146-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

I proudly support the Outback performance aftermarket. I provide better support and response for your OB.
TDCK, I’d really like to pick your brain a bit. I’m wanting to know what is “real” improvement over OEM with regards to Brakes, Exhaust, Shocks, Suspension, and “Tuning” Software (and Required Tools, etc...)
I am getting excited to get this OB up in the air and get a good look at the underside. (I’ll look at the bushings, too.) I don’t even know what size Sway Bars are on it... yet.
I have need of a lot of information before I start spending money... you know what they say; A fool and his money are ...some party! HA!
One from the good ol’ days; Speed costs money, kid. How fast do you want to spend it?
I’m not looking to turn this very excellent car into something it was never intended to be. But I do want it to do very well, what it’s supposed to do well, and have it fit my driving style and perform exceptionally in the environment I drive it. Few things, if any, have ever been made that cannot be improved on with simple engineering principles, good sense, a willingness to fail, and a bit of research and testing (trial and error). Thanks for your enthusiasm and business venture serving the needs of a relatively small group of fellow “enthusiasts”. That’s cool.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,193 Posts
here is where @traildogck starts to describe Longboarder's 3.6 outback,
which Traildog keeps loading and swapping faster and sportier parts into.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
There are several members who have tried my bushings. Several have tried both popular durometers. I have ridden 1st hand in a 2013 3.5R sporting a 20mm rear sway bar upgrade and a stock 26mm front bar. Both bushings on this local car are 75d, the softer of the (2)

Here is a quote form a memeber. I think this explains the differences very well.

"I purchased a set of Chris's 75d FSBB a month ago, (for my 2014 OB 3.6R, with a 20mm updated rear SB). They definitely improved the feedback from road to steering-wheel. Which is what I was looking for. They fit perfect and look as durable as any "performance" brands I've seen go into other cars.
But I'm always looking for more because, I must say, I was more than a little disappointed after I got the car to discover what I consider to be it's excessive "floaty" feeling in high speed cornering.
Recently, I had Chris make me up a full set of SBBs, made of the hardest mix he has.
I have had them in for a few days now, (city driving).
Happily, I don't seem to be noticing a large, objectionable decrease in ride comfort, or a big increase in road noise. Of course this was the quietest car I've owned so I'm use to more to begin with!
Now I'm sure getting on back-roads and two track is the only true test, (if you get on a lot of back roads and such). I do, but only a few times a year, so street performance is my main focus.
Now, I'm not recommending the super hard ones, in fact I suspect anything above the 85d is redundant in terms of desired effect. I would say the biggest bang is just going from OEM rubber to any of Chris's compounds.
If I were buying today, knowing the above, I would probably go with the 85d version straight away.
If I were someone really worries about roughening up the ride than I would stick to the 75d.
Just my two cents,
Joel H."

If you car is new and stock, then it has 21mm front bar and a 16mm rear. I really can cannot advise a RSB upgrade. That is a personal choice. Living in snow country, too big of a rear bar can make the tail a little "happy" in low traction situations. (like your RWD Z28)

However, if you deicid on a rear bar, then I can advise bushings accordingly. If you car stays stock, can advise (2) different set ups.

1. add 75d bushings to the rear, and nothing to front for a moderate upgrade to the rear.

2. add 85d to the rear for higher performance and add the 75d to balance out the front.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Traildog, I’ll find out what I have as soon as I can get my car on a lift and get a good look at everything. I’ll email you when I’ve got enough information to ask some intelligent questions.
Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey Flat6Brick, thanks for responding! I’m realizing that I have a LOT to learn about this car! I was looking last night at the MagnaFlow Exhaust on Summit Racing’s Website... they are a “header” with Catalytic Converters... and about $1000 for both sides. That doesn’t include Mufflers or Tailpipes. Are you familiar with those?
My first question is; are the factory exhaust “manifolds” or “head pipes” pretty good/efficient, or are they restrictive. I haven’t been able to find a photo of one yet via Googling. If I can get to the familiar Muffler Shop in Lincoln, he’ll put it up in the air and we can get a good look at everything. That’s where I planned to start.
You’ve done quite a few upgrades to your ‘17 3.6R... what do the heavier Sway Bars do for ride quality and rough-terrain driving?
What do you notice from the performance bushings? What effect did lowering the front end have, also? What kind of driving are you aiming at gaining the most improvement for?
I must sound like a 12-year old kid, with all these questions! Ha! Just curious, and wanting to find out what does what. I am enjoying this process, and want to maximize the OB for my driving pleasure!
The factory OB has exhaust manifolds. They are adequate for the amount of power that the car makes, but if you were to go with forced induction you'd benefit from headers. Unfortunately there are no headers available for the Gen 5 Outback. Raptor makes them for the Gen 6 OB. Some have tried to get them on a Gen 5 OB but there is clearance issues.

I have just replaced the stock resonator and mufflers with 3 Magnaflow pieces. I use chrome tips from Subaru which are about $40/each.

Sway bars will make the car handle more sporty, like a European sedan. If you take your car off-road, you would still benefit from the improved handling of getting a 19mm or 20mm rear sway bar. These are about $100 from Subaru.

I am a street driver, and never take my Outback offroad. It only sees the ravages of our winters (not as bad this past few years). So my goal is to improve handling, lower the stance for looks, and have it be like a Legacy Wagon, as they used to have 10 years ago. Lowering the car with RS-R springs really improved the look and reduced body roll in turns.

The front and rear sway bar bushings from Chris are an excellent value! For less than $100 you can improve the feel and handling of your Outback. Plus they are simple to install.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Flat6Brick, Thank you very much for all the information and suggestions you’ve shared. It really helps me in sorting this all out. I am planning to get the bushings from Chris for sure. Researching about the sway bars next. Still undecided about exhaust. Sorting through the options, and going to inquire with the “Guru”, Ed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,193 Posts
moved thread, updated title.

I would join up on XRTs own forum, so you can see what all the other 3.6 people are doing and their graphs in one place

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
moved thread, updated title.

I would join up on XRTs own forum, so you can see what all the other 3.6 people are doing and their graphs in one place
First, It starts with an email to XRT, certainly mentioning the OB forum or name-dropping helps Ed know where you are coming from. Being honest and serious regarding goals and expectations is second.

getting the invite to the chat follows.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I’m not looking to turn this very excellent car into something it was never intended to be.
To me it sounds like that is exactly what you are looking to accomplish.

Not much in the way of performance parts available.

Why not just take the money and find yourself another nice 2nd gen Camaro. Tons of reasonably priced parts available and the 2nd gens are on the upswing in value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MagnaFlow Exhaust from Head to Tail.

I went with the MagnaFlow all the way; Head Pipe with Cats & Y-Pipe, Largest Resonator that would fit, as well as two TurboFlow Mufflers. Custom install by Pro Muffler in Lincoln, NE with 2.25 in. & 2.5 in. Diameter Pipe all the way to the Muffler Tips.
I got the Head/Cat/Y-Pipe All-in-One Pieces for each side from Summit Racing. $975 & Free Shipping.
It sounds good, pretty quiet unless you’re WOT and Revving, and seems to have opened up the breathing. There’s a little drone at around l500 RPM, with slight throttle applied, but not bad. A down shift or more throttle (or less throttle) and it’s gone...
Ed at XRT is working with me on the Tuning. ...more to follow on the results.
Need to address Transmission mis-behavior that had not appeared until tuning began...
Any GOOD advice about Transmission Fluid? Is Flushing the Transmission on a 5EAT possible? I’ve been told different stories from 2 different Subaru Dealer’s Service Techs. Neither sounded like they really knew what they were talking about.
More to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me it sounds like that is exactly what you are looking to accomplish.

Not much in the way of performance parts available.

Why not just take the money and find yourself another nice 2nd gen Camaro. Tons of reasonably priced parts available and the 2nd gens are on the upswing in value.
Z28dug;
This Outback is one of the best vehicles in the snow and ice that I’ve ever driven... right up there with my old Suburban and our ‘17 Forester. No Camaro is going to go where I go hunting or fishing, or perform in adverse road conditions the way this Outback does. I can haul my little trailer with my vintage Can-Am dirt bikes to the Vintage MX tracks in a combination of conditions that a lot of 4x4’s are hard pressed to match. My 3.6R is not even close to my old Z28 for sheer acceleration or “sport” driving performance... but it is still very capable of producing thrills for me and my passengers when accelerating around a truck in traffic, or launching up an on-ramp with a slight curve to it. It is no Camaro... but no Camaro can do all the things this Outback does. I am not in a place to own several vehicles... so I own this one. I do miss my Z28, tho!

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Z28dug;
This Outback is one of the best vehicles in the snow and ice that I’ve ever driven... right up there with my old Suburban and our ‘17 Forester. No Camaro is going to go where I go hunting or fishing, or perform in adverse road conditions the way this Outback does. I can haul my little trailer with my vintage Can-Am dirt bikes to the Vintage MX tracks in a combination of conditions that a lot of 4x4’s are hard pressed to match. My 3.6R is not even close to my old Z28 for sheer acceleration or “sport” driving performance... but it is still very capable of producing thrills for me and my passengers when accelerating around a truck in traffic, or launching up an on-ramp with a slight curve to it. It is no Camaro... but no Camaro can do all the things this Outback does. I am not in a place to own several vehicles... so I own this one. I do miss my Z28, tho!
Having had my share of 4x4's and an OB, I would love to see examples of places your OB can go that a 4x4 would be hard pressed to match.:grin2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having had my share of 4x4's and an OB, I would love to see examples of places your OB can go that a 4x4 would be hard pressed to match.:grin2:
OK... I overstated a little bit. I did mean that it’s stability, maneuverability, tractability and versatility are hard to beat, especially in really slick, “greasy” conditions, or on black ice.
And... I can go under low-lying tree branches that many AWD or 4x4 vehicles can not!
I do appreciate your thoughts about getting a Camaro to “hot rod”, though I am not currently in the right place to do that. Perhaps, if we get a house with extra garage space down the road a bit, I’ll get a “toy” better suited for modifications.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went with the MagnaFlow all the way; Head Pipe with Cats & Y-Pipe, Largest Resonator that would fit, as well as two TurboFlow Mufflers. Custom install by Pro Muffler in Lincoln, NE with 2.25 in. & 2.5 in. Diameter Pipe all the way to the Muffler Tips.
I got the Head/Cat/Y-Pipe All-in-One Pieces for each side from Summit Racing. $975 & Free Shipping.
It sounds good, pretty quiet unless you’re WOT and Revving, and seems to have opened up the breathing. There’s a little drone at around l500 RPM, with slight throttle applied, but not bad. A down shift or more throttle (or less throttle) and it’s gone...
Ed at XRT is working with me on the Tuning. ...more to follow on the results.
Need to address Transmission mis-behavior that had not appeared until tuning began...
Any GOOD advice about Transmission Fluid? Is Flushing the Transmission on a 5EAT possible? I’ve been told different stories from 2 different Subaru Dealer’s Service Techs. Neither sounded like they really knew what they were talking about.
More to come!

Wow! Coming along nicely there. I also replaced the factory resonator (one of them) with a Magnaflow piece, along with two Magnaflow mufflers. I agree that the sound is very good, but mine also drones between 1500-2000rpm. My next move is to go back to the muffler shop and have them make a j-tube to try to eliminate or reduce the drone.

Glad to hear that Ed will be working on you with a tune! Your setup will be very similar to mine. We'll have to meet up and drive around in each others car to see the differences. :smile2:

Keep us posted!

Reactions: HuskerKP
1 - 20 of 39 Posts