Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was considering a 2006 outback 3.0r in gold as my silver 04 WRX was stolen and recovered with a locked engine.

The outback only has 95k miles and is in great condition backed by a warranty from my Subaru mechanic (S-Wings in Denver) minus some interior stains.

Love the car, only problem is I don't love the gold. Was considering trying to paint it dark grey or black, only thing is it might be costly.

My other idea was doing something similar to another guy and doing the trim black: https://www.reddit.com/r/subaru/comments/bqn0wf
Either way, I think I'll get black wheels, tint the windows, and smoke the rears. Do yall have any other ideas on how to make the 06 3.0r look good in gold? I'm not that picky but I just despise it stock. Any galleries of 3rd gen projects would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would you pay for this car given the mileage and that's its been gone over by a mechanic I trust with a warranty?

Thanks in advance yall are awesome

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts

Reactions: jes2

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
Maybe this is more inspirational?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
This is my dream Outback - it's owned by one of our members here - @oldskoolbiker

Reactions: outbackbackout

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
There are several members here who have souped up their Gen 3 H6 Outbacks - headers are supposed to make a big difference on that engine if you're interested in that kind of thing. @traildogck has a ton of information on suspension mods, if you do get the car you'll have fantastic support here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are several members here who have souped up their Gen 3 H6 Outbacks - headers are supposed to make a big difference on that engine if you're interested in that kind of thing. @traildogck has a ton of information on suspension mods, if you do get the car you'll have fantastic support here.
Good to hear, appreciate it. For now just want to make sure it's a good deal and I can tolerate the appearance. Will def be doing other things in the longterm. The stock gold just does nothing for me haha

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
Gen 3 Outbacks are in my opinion very special and no matter what the color if the thing is solid then it's a good car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gen 3 Outbacks are in my opinion very special and no matter what the color if the thing is solid then it's a good car.

For sure, I'm sold on the car just figuring out what I can do to not hate it cosmetically

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts
So you think this is hideous? Get black wheels and it will transform its attitude. People also plastidip or paint their wheels black and it looks very good.

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
479 Posts
I'm no real fan of the blue or gold on this generation, myself -- I think the gold is almost too plain, there's no contrasting "waterline".

Its one of the most minor things, but I find that window tint nearly always brings the look from "plain old family wagon" to a whole 'nother level. SilverOnyx's previous picture being a good illustration of that. The 08/09 was also a slightly different color gold paint; YMMV.

I think the tint, plus plasti-dipped black wheels will give you a very different look for only a modest amount of time/money, and you can decide how you like it from there (Or, just start in Photoshop to give it a try!)

Also, it's either a drop-in replacement (rear) or a bit of heat-gun-work (front) to have headlights and taillights without the amber lenses, if you like that look better. (That's my preference). Or, if you open up the headlights you can also "black out" the inside, for some more contrast on the front end. SilverOnyx's picture shows those clear-lens tail lights, too.

You can also find a lot of cross-compatible ideas on legacygt.com , as their most popular generation is the same body as these.
Here's one member's thread who customized a Champagne Gold 2006 2.5i.

No matter what you do, make sure the headlight lenses aren't faded! A drill, the Harbor Freight polish kit, some Plast-X, and 10 minutes each make a huge if it's needed.
Finally, go over the black (plastic) trim with a good treatment to go from "faded grey" to proper black. I've used "Back to Black" before, but have heard good things about CeraKote from a nice thorough Youtuber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm no real fan of the blue or gold on this generation, myself -- I think the gold is almost too plain, there's no contrasting "waterline".

Its one of the most minor things, but I find that window tint nearly always brings the look from "plain old family wagon" to a whole 'nother level. SilverOnyx's previous picture being a good illustration of that. The 08/09 was also a slightly different color gold paint; YMMV.

I think the tint, plus plasti-dipped black wheels will give you a very different look for only a modest amount of time/money, and you can decide how you like it from there (Or, just start in Photoshop to give it a try!)

Also, it's either a drop-in replacement (rear) or a bit of heat-gun-work (front) to have headlights and taillights without the amber lenses, if you like that look better. (That's my preference). Or, if you open up the headlights you can also "black out" the inside, for some more contrast on the front end. SilverOnyx's picture shows those clear-lens tail lights, too.

You can also find a lot of cross-compatible ideas on legacygt.com , as their most popular generation is the same body as these.
Here's one member's thread who customized a Champagne Gold 2006 2.5i.

No matter what you do, make sure the headlight lenses aren't faded! A drill, the Harbor Freight polish kit, some Plast-X, and 10 minutes each make a huge if it's needed.
Finally, go over the black (plastic) trim with a good treatment to go from "faded grey" to proper black. I've used "Back to Black" before, but have heard good things about CeraKote from a nice thorough Youtuber.
Awesome info thanks so much! I appreciate the link to the gold project.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
198 Posts
Have you seen the green Gen 3's? I think that is one of best Outbacks ever made. That model/color got me interesting in owning an Outback.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,176 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Legacy 2.2L | 2005 Outback XT 2.5L
108 Posts
I myself despise the Champagne gold pearl paint job on any and all Subarus. That being said, I think I'd get used to it if I owned one. A lot of them tend to fade to this nasty green looking color as well, so maybe clay bar it and use some Meguiars ultimate compound to make it look a little more tolerable.

Some wheels and a mesh grille would go a long way as well

Brz wheels look great on 3rd gen OBs.

·
Registered
2008 OBXT; 2007 Spec.B; 2003 WRX
126 Posts
I say get that gold wagon and OWN it. I agree with others that black wheels and trim will make a huge difference.

You could look into a wrap, or one of many cost-effective methods of DIY painting. A friend and I had shockingly good success with (no joke) exterior house paint and a roller. Masking/prep is your friend.

You could also consider painting just the fenders/lower trim to get the two-tone look. Might soften the blow of the gold, LOL

LG OBXT.jpg

Honestly, this ^ doesn't look half bad!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I think I'm stuck with throwing everything black that's cheap on it that I can, wheels, mud flaps, door handles, smoked-out tail lights, and tinted windows. I'm sure I'll stop noticing after a month hopefully how much I hate the gold. Hey, at least it's not the puke green color.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts