Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to almost losing a finger when the Harbor Freight strut spring compressor let go, I'm looking for a decent one under $150. I will never again use the type that comes with two long threaded rods, clamps and safeties.

I'm thinking of maybe something like a hydraulic one or perhaps one that uses a wheel or multiple handles and a gear to compress the spring.

Is there anyone out there that uses this type of unit and didn't pay $Texas for it?

I found some on Amazon and on Ebay but I just don't know what's good and what's trash. I checked the local craigslist but there were only two and one was $350 and the other was $600.

Shawn

Edit: Awe darn it! I meant to put this under Suspension. Can a mod move this please? Thanks.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
my buddy bought one of these styles and said it is so much better than the simpler bolt kind. he posted pictures of it on facebook and raved about it...but i'm not about to dig it up, i have no idea how long ago it was. i *think* this is the one..or something close to it:

Single Action Strut Spring Compressor

he's a side job kind of guy and has done tons of different things so i value his approval of it...i can text him where he got it if you want.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
I will never again use the type that comes with two long threaded rods, clamps and safeties.
I understand where you're coming from, but I have used a similar type spring compressors borrowed from Autozone and O'Reillys and they were MUCH better quality than the HF ones.

Unless you are planning to use the new compressor a lot, consider just removing the struts from the car and taking them intact to a good shop to change-out the springs to the new struts ... the cost for this is surprisingly cheap.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grossgary: Cool. A clamshell spring compressor is probably my best bet. The OTC one seems to do springs with an OD of 4" to 9" and I think the springs on this car are roughly 4.5" to 8" OD. Although some of the slightly more expensive hydraulic ones will do springs with an OD of 4" up to 10" so I'm not sure which way I want to go just yet.

RobLog: I was actually changing out family members and friends' struts as well. I had hit up one shop but they wanted $15 a strut so I figured the tool would pay for itself in a couple of uses.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Do a search for tool rental in your area. You can probably find a good quality one to rent for about $25/day.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Suddenly my good deal on spring compressors at harbor freight doesnt seem so sweet:eek:
I blew through the Harbor Freight ones in just my two back springs. The threads aren't nearly beefy enough to stand up to the use.

I bought two more from Advance Auto for $30-$40 that are MUCH better. They have very thick threads and stood up to the fronts with virtually no signs of wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts