Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than my Outback, my wife drives/drove a 2015 Chevy Traverse LTZ. We really liked this vehicle until my wife and kids got t-boned by a woman who ran a red light going 40mph. Thank the Lord that my wife and 3 kids were safe.

Anyhow, it looks like they might total out our Traverse. It only had 20k miles on it, and was paid off. We are now having to drive a rental mini van which is HORRENDOUS. It's a Dodge Caravan and is not something my wife likes. She thought getting a mini-van would be good, but as the average guy review says, "I just HATE mini-vans!"

We have no idea if they'll give us the value of Traverse that was totaled ($26k) or the value of the car new ($47k).

My question is what is a spacious 3rd row SUV for a young family? The Highlander doesn't have the room of the Traverse. The 2018 Traverse looks appealing with it's new redesign, more room, and better tranny.

I was thinking of a used Toyota Sequoia or Suburban, but am not sure if the wife would be comfortable with it's large size.

Ascent won't be out sooner, or we would consider it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, so get this! The entire motor needs replacement along with the $12k of damage that was already there. They are taking it to the dealership where we initially bought our Traverse to put either a A.) new or B.) reconditioned motor in it. Why the heck are they doing all this work and putting money into not only replacing the entire car (seems like it), and paying the dealership AND the body shop?

I can see where they assumed there was no motor damage after they initially repaired it, but this is getting ridiculous! I wish they'd just total out the car and give us the cash. Now we'll have a salvaged title (I'm assuming since $12k + new aluminum motor will cost almost the value of the entire car.)

Any advice?

We have Geico, by the way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
getting a newer expensive vehicle to "total out" at more then 75% damage is hard.

the insurance industry has a term for what the cost is of going from clean title to rebuilt from salvage. (I forget what it is).

and in theory they should cover that. but Gieco is not that great of a company. ...its a ad agency that does insurance on the side.

if you are making payments, does its value as a rebuilt title put it under what you owe on it. = "underwater' ?

someday try Amica, Liberty Mutual, as a comparison.
The car is paid off in full, so luckily we don't have to worry about car payments to a bank. I just got off the phone with the body shop and total costs with the new (used) engine with 11k miles, and the grand total will be $19k. So my car is worth about $25, and 75% of the value would be 18.5k. Not sure why they are going to just put the newer motor and give it back to us, but we'll see.

If this is the case, I will definitely hit them hard when we ask for diminished value claim. The car won't be worth much after such substantial damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.