Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I need your help! I have a 2015 Subaru Outback with 52k. Oil consumption issues started at around 42k; went through all the oil consumption tests. Subaru replaced my short block, tension rings, etc. There is no added warranty for this new engine... so I'm looking at 8,000 miles and then im up a creek should additional problems arise.

My question is this: Ride it out/cross my fingers that the repair will stick and i will get years and years out of this well cared for vehicle. Or get rid of it??

( my gut says ride it out... my husband is over Subaru( this is our 3rd) and wants to be a Toyota-only family.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
For me, that decision would ride on whether or not I still owed money on the '15 OB. If it's paid for, I'd roll the dice and continue driving it. If I still owed a fair chunk, I'd dump it for a Toyota.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
If Subaru rebuilt the engine they’ll do it again if you still have issues. Oh Toyota use to do that but not any more plenty of Toyota failures where Toyota told the owner to stuff it and left them hanging. In my neck of the woods you can’t buy a new Toyota for anything close to reasonable prices. Oh and I own a Toyota I only buy used Toyota trucks ��

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
I tend not to keep daily drivers beyond the warranty so for me, a no brainer, I would be looking to send it up the road.

Having said that, I would have confidence in the repair.

However, guess you need to define "years and years". How many miles are you expecting it to last?

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
273 Posts
I think you are only considering 2 or the 3 major options.

ask dealer about extended warranty? it will cost but?

being a hard core Subaru person and a modder. Nothing is as reliable as an engine built at the factory in the clean room. go new car. what ever brand you want.

roll the dice.

this is a financial decision. 20 30 40 k for a new car vs 1 day stuck on the side of the road.

To make an informed decision I think you need a quote on the trade in value of your car vs the cost of an extended warranty vs the potential cost of keeping your car

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,232 Posts
I'd be pretty confident, since they know what the problem is and have corrected it. I hope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go back to Subaru and tell them you want the warranty on the work extended for at least 36K contact SOA if you have to.
My wife had an Acura TX brought it in for normal service at about 15K, they informed us there was an issue with the transmission and they were replacing the whole unit. Needless to say I was a little PO'd they said they would extend warranty to 100,000 so I calmed down quite a bit.
To finish the story the transmission failed at 104K brought it into Acura started to say something and the service manager told me that the warranty for the transmission was for 100k on the tranny not the car so they replaced the tranny for $0 and but gave me only a 60K warranty on the new one which was fine by me.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,147 Posts
Warranty work goes like this. The covered repair will carry the original warranty in place from the purchase of the vehicle.

If the repair is less than a year, and 12K miles away from the end of the warranty, then the dealer needs to honor the warranty work for 1 year/12K miles.

That is the best you are going to get unless you purchase additional coverage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked about an extended warranty several times- i was told that i didnt have one/no way to get one. (I am all about an extended warranty...) I dont want to pay out of pocket if in 9,000miles the motor craps out....
so i guess i've got a little time to get something else before my warranty is up...but this is my 3rd subaru and i was brand-loyal until this... so now what!?
Thanks for the perspective!

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
I asked about an extended warranty several times- i was told that i didnt have one/no way to get one. (I am all about an extended warranty...) I dont want to pay out of pocket if in 9,000miles the motor craps out....
so i guess i've got a little time to get something else before my warranty is up...but this is my 3rd subaru and i was brand-loyal until this... so now what!?
Thanks for the perspective!
Too late for a Subaru extended warranty but there are plenty of 3rd parties that will sell you one.

My perspective is that I am not brand loyal. I buy what appeals to me at the time. Find something that appeals to you, buy it and enjoy it.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,147 Posts
many 3rd party warranties are scams. They truly only pay on a complete failure. Not eminent or pending failure due to issues. You get what you pay for.

As far as brand loyalty. Every Subaru is NOT a good Subaru, some are not even very good cars. The last (2) model generations (since 2010) have been concerned with (3) main concerns.

1.) Safety
2.) Cafe' requirements
3.) Tech

These are different design concerns vs capability, durability and value on which FUJI Heavy Industries built a small car company. Subarus used to be cheap, solid transportation. The image and the product of this company has changed.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,344 Posts
Dump it. Your husband has already lost faith in the Subaru, so if you make the call to keep it every little thing that goes wrong with it will be your fault and an "I told you so" moment. >:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue on my 2013 Outback but I had to pay for the short block and 1,200 miles in bam oil light is on. The Subaru dealership who put it in bought it from LKQ so I am wondering if Subaru is selling the defective ones to third parties to recoup losses. It’s now a legal issue. I win the dispute with my bank but they are attempting small claims. I can’t sell it with a clear conscience so it’s going to be donated. New catalytic and tires too and then a short block. This is my 6th and last Subaru!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,158 Posts
OP

Subaru oil consumption warranty is 100K /8 years whatever comes first, you are within that so they will make it right. The new blocks have updates that correct the issue so it was most likely a defective unit (it happens). If you are not getting results, take it to another dealer and inform SOA. be polite and patient and it will work out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts