Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received the full Christmas tree of lights on my 2014 2.5 the other day with the code P2764 (TCC solenoid) and P0700. I have read every post on this forum and had the car towed to the dealership. They got to it this morning and said that since they don't sell the solenoid so the entire valve body needs to be replaced. W/ 4 qts of oil added, valve body, and labor its $1200.00. I have found a few valve bodies online for around $600 but they are all from China. I have also found numerous solenoids, all from china for around $120.00. Does anyone know the reliability with these Chinese made solenoids and how difficult of a job is the solenoid replacement? The valve body seems like a direct remove/replace, is this the same for the solenoid? Or should I take my luck on a wrecked vehicle?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's a YouTube video of Brucey doing the Solenoid swap on the valve body. I believe that if you can solder the wires, you can do the switch. I'm sure it's a little more complicates, but not much by the look of it.

I'm in a similar boat with mine right now. Except that I generated a P0971 code which is the 'transfer duty solenoid' which is proving to be difficult to source. I really don't want to have to shell out for the entire valve body assembly for one solenoid. Ugh.

That might work if you cut and paste.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2014 2.5
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I don't either but I also don't want to put some POS chinese made product into the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
More than likely Subaru sources the solenoids from China like most other companies. I just retired from managing manufacturing operations globally for many years. Some of the best quality products are made in China, especially electrical parts. Their quality can be VERY HIGH QUALITY.

·
Registered
2014 2.5
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely Subaru sources the solenoids from China like most other companies. I just retired from managing manufacturing operations globally for many years. Some of the best quality products are made in China, especially electrical parts. Their quality can be VERY HIGH QUALITY.
It’s hard to tell what’s good quality and what isn’t especially on eBay. A lot of stuff didn’t have reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,077 Posts
get the p/n off of the solenoid and source it from the OEM manufacturer.

·
Registered
2014 2.5
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get the p/n off of the solenoid and source it from the OEM manufacturer.
not having alot of luck with that, still only really pulling up chinese made stuff. Found one from a dealership but they dont have it in stock and are unable to get it so thats a bust. I've decided to just have the dealership take care of it, they are only charging me for the valve body no labor so thats awesome. I want to ask them if these same solenoids are being used in the newer CVTs or if they changed anything on them, maybe somebody on here will know the answer. Besides that I will try to sell the old valve body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts