Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I changed to Michelin Defender T+H (17") at <1000 miles. I was trying to soften the ride a bit. These gave a better ride and tracked better than the Duellers (more car-like). They did well in our NE Ohio winter and especially well in some of the heavy rain we had this past spring. They were a good choice for me.
Thanks. How long have you driven them? Notice any change in mpg up or down after putting them on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got a set of Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires in June for my '16 and they're decent so far. They're noisier than the stock tires but do absorb bumps better.The city MPG went down but the highway MPG went up. Hopefully they last longer than the 25k the stock tires lasted.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I just got a set of Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires in June for my '16 and they're decent so far. They're noisier than the stock tires ...
What tire pressures are you running? I ask because I perceive our WeatherReadys to be slightly quieter than the ~43,000 mile Bridgestone Duelers they replaced on our 2016 Outback with 17-inch wheels.

FWIW, our WeatherReadys are set to 35/33 psi @ 70 degrees F ... which means that they run up to 37/35 psi on the 90-degree days we've been having.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What tire pressures are you running? I ask because I perceive our WeatherReadys to be slightly quieter than the ~43,000 mile Bridgestone Duelers they replaced on our 2016 Outback with 17-inch wheels.
It's just a droning sound of sorts. I remember the car being pretty quiet when it was new but the Goodyears made no improvement. I have them set to 35 in the front and 33 in the rear. I've been meaning to check the sidewalls and see if they recommend a higher pressure. I still can't figure out how you got 43k out of your tires. I drive very conservatively and mine were terrifying last winter at around 25k or so. I ended up avoiding bad weather until I got them replaced.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I've been meaning to check the sidewalls and see if they recommend a higher pressure.
The pressure embossed on the sidewall is the maximum allowable inflation pressure for the tire, not some recommended value. For any given vehicle, proper inflation pressure is based on the tire's load rating. The load rating on the sidewall of my new WeatherReady's is 102 ... exactly the same as the OE tires.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got a set of Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires in June for my '16 and they're decent so far. They're noisier than the stock tires but do absorb bumps better.The city MPG went down but the highway MPG went up. Hopefully they last longer than the 25k the stock tires lasted.
How are they in rain and snow? Did you consider Yokohama Avid Ascent GT's at all? I know some folks suggest Geolanders or Defenders, they are much heavy tires, i have run both these tires before on a Jeep. I think an all weather tire makes more sense as this is a car/wagon not a SUV.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Duellers are bad news? Terrible reviews? Wear out quick? Loud? Garbage? I have not experienced this at all. They're quieter than my previous Lexus with Conitnental and Yokohama (Spendy ones). I have 38,000 miles on the Duellers with about half the life still left. Plenty of tread. I've had quite a few expensive good tires on all my rigs over the years. Mich, Contis, Yokos, Nitto, etc. I have zero complaints on these tires.

But thanks to the internet, reviews, peoples dislike with most stock tires and rims, I picked up a brand new set of 18" rims with Duellers on them for $500. So thank you for that. Maybe I just got lucky.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Duellers are bad news? Terrible reviews? Wear out quick? Loud? Garbage? I have not experienced this at all. They're quieter than my previous Lexus with Conitnental and Yokohama (Spendy ones). I have 38,000 miles on the Duellers with about half the life still left. Plenty of tread. I've had quite a few expensive good tires on all my rigs over the years. Mich, Contis, Yokos, Nitto, etc. I have zero complaints on these tires.

But thanks to the internet, reviews, peoples dislike with most stock tires and rims, I picked up a brand new set of 18" rims with Duellers on them for $500. So thank you for that. Maybe I just got lucky.
They are terrible tires. SO terrible, in fact, that nobody who has a new set should ever be subjected to using them even 10 miles.... so, to save any of you in this horrific situation, I will take them off your hands for free, to help you maintain a calm driving experience. Just to help out and all...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, this is definitely one I am looking at! Have you noticed any change in mpg since putting them on? How long have you had them? Thanks
Only had them about 6 weeks or about 1000 miles. My wife drives the car and she hasn't complained about the mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How are they in rain and snow? Did you consider Yokohama Avid Ascent GT's at all? I know some folks suggest Geolanders or Defenders, they are much heavy tires, i have run both these tires before on a Jeep. I think an all weather tire makes more sense as this is a car/wagon not a SUV.

I was initially considering the BFG K02's or some Geolandar A/T's but decided to try these because they seemed to be a good cross between a good all terrain/all weather and having good fuel efficiency. I'm pretty sure others mentioned it but the Weatheready tires are rated as all weather instead of just all season. They're rated and designed for use in places where they close roads to cars with lesser tires. I figured it would be good enough to get me to the market for ice cream in the middle of a blizzard. As far as rain, they don't hydroplane at all. Snow is yet to be seen. Then again the stock tires were great in the snow for the first two years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Already lost a Deuler to a slice soft-roading on a dirt/gravel road in Colorado that had everyone including 18-wheelers going by without a problem. Sometimes you're just unlucky. Replaced it with an inexpensive Nexian that was within 1/32 of the tread depth of the remaining three, which seemed to be a better choice than shaving a new Deuler or replacing all four. The new tire is within 1/8 inch circumference of the others; Subaru recommends within 1/4 inch, so far no problems.

After 15,000 miles the Deulers are down to 7/32, will probably make it through this winter but not much beyond. If in doubt we might replace them with one of the aforementioned all-weather tires that seem to do better than all-season tires in the snow. Goodyears and Yokohamas are on the short list.

A/T K/O2's are awesome tires that I run on my 4x4 truck, but I think they are overkill for an Outback, especially with the 2.5 engine as they are about twice as heavy as the stock tires.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Outback and the tires that come with it are pretty lame (Bridgestone Dueller HP A/S Sport). Its not about their ability to handle mud, snow or rain while they have tread on them, but rather they have poor reviews for tread life reaching anywhere near the 40k they are "rated" for. Tirerack rated them 25th out of 30 similar tires, so not a good showing there either. I want to replace them with a good quality 65k or better All Season tire.
My preference would be to go with Goodyear right now, only because a local shop is adding $100 off for a set of 4, on top of Goodyear offering a $40 rebate. Will certainly go with others if there seems to be a consensus on a good tire. I wont be doing much in the way off off road driving, so I dont need a particularly aggressive tire. It'll be mainly local paved roads and highway driving. The plan is to sell the OEM tires while they are still low miles (currently 1200) and use the money to offset installing a better set tires that will not wear out prematurely fast.

Thoughts? Also, do you know if your suggested tires will affect the mpg?
I replaced my tires right away (at like 200 miles or so) with Nokian WRG3 Asymmetric. However, I needed competent snow performance. The OE tires are not the ones for that. If not for my need for snow performance, I would have left the OE tires on.

Based on your original post, your only concern is tread life. I recommend buying a tread depth gauge for a few bucks. Replace the OE tires at 2/32". You will not get much money for your used OE tires. I have been there, done that (at less mileage than you).

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've got Sumitomo's on my Outback...came with them. While not the same tire they have to be the noisiest tires I've ever owned.

I got 40,000 miles on original Duelers.
I went with Sumitomo Encounter HT 235/60/R18.
Tire Rack ranking # 2 in its class, behind Michelin Defender LTX M/S.
Saved $ 55 per tire vs Michelin.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was initially considering the BFG K02's or some Geolandar A/T's but decided to try these because they seemed to be a good cross between a good all terrain/all weather and having good fuel efficiency. I'm pretty sure others mentioned it but the Weatheready tires are rated as all weather instead of just all season. They're rated and designed for use in places where they close roads to cars with lesser tires. I figured it would be good enough to get me to the market for ice cream in the middle of a blizzard. As far as rain, they don't hydroplane at all. Snow is yet to be seen. Then again the stock tires were great in the snow for the first two years.
The stock tires do not handle standing water very well from what I have experienced. In addition i do not believe they would be very good on more icy surfaces based on the amount of siping they have on them. Example Goodyear Duratracs are great in snow, but are not good on icy surfaces. Alot of people stated a tire does will in rain or wet surfaces, but do not really address standing water or address snow but not deeper snow or icy conditions. The devil is in the detail when it comes to tires. Also where you are coming from, if you have used crap tires in the past, then anything might seem like an improvement...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just replaced the tires on my 2015 outback and bought Conti LX25 tires. Smooth, quiet, and handle nicely. I haven't had them in the snow...yet. Not for a while. But so far they're really nice tires.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts