Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 25i
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 2.5i Outback, with 45,000 miles which by the way has been a great car, except when we are on the road for long distances my wife's leg becomes quite sore. When she rides in something with higher seats she does not have the problem. This summer, we did a Denver-Oregon-Wisconsin trip which she did better with a cushion to raise her up, but it not solve the issue. The cushion is not very good solution because it shifts around so much. By the way, I drive about 99.9% of the time, so the seat we are talking about is the passenger front seat. So a number of questions?

1. Is there something I can do to the passenger seat in the 2008 seat to raise it up? I looked at putting spacers under the seat attachment points, but the seat fastens to the side of the transmission tunnel, so that didn't look very straight forward. Other suggestions?

2. Another alternative would be to replace the Outback, my first choice was a 2013 Outback, but we test drove and measured the seats. Unfortunately the seats in the 2013 measured almost the same as the seats in the 2008 with respect to seat height, seat depth, etc. We didn't drive long enough to determine if these seats were better. My sense is that since they are the same size the problem would still exist. I was thinking of trying to rent a 2012 or 2013 and put 400-500 miles on it, but that seems like a waste of time/money if the seats are essentially the same. Can someone give me some feedback on the comparisons between the seats in the 2005 and 2013?

3. The third alternative would be to look at some other brands, but I’m really trying to avoid that, hence the reason for this post. So please give me some good suggestions.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I'd be nervous about spacers for reasons of messing with the structural integrity with regards to a crash. Also airbag geometry would wind up different.

I don't think my outback seats are particularly comfortable, but I recently had a weird breakthrough: Compression stockings. I tried wearing a set during an all-day road trip and I couldn't believe the difference. Over the years I'd gotten used to my legs being stiff and sore after driving long stretches. Now I can cruise through a full tank of gas and bound out of the car full of energy.

I originally got them for mitigating the risk of deep vein thrombosis on the very long flights I take for work, but it turns out they're brilliant for roadtrips in the Subie as well.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Tough problem to address. My wife has a genetic factor that makes her higher risk to blood clots. Our long trips we have in recent years simply stopped for quick stretches. Smart phone and finding interesting things to check out has made it kinda fun. Our usual long trips to visit family it adds maybe 30 minutes to a 7-8 hour drive. But we arrive feeling better about the trip. The subarus range makes stopping tough for lots of people. 520miles in one shot isnt hard to do.lol

·
Registered
2008 Outback 25i
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check with the wife on the compression stockings.

When we travel, we try to stop quit often, I don't drive by many rest areas, but we do tend to put in long days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts