Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm done with Continental ProContact tires (all-season) - they suck! We are ready to purchase 4 new tires so here's the detail of what I'm looking for:

* Occasional off-roading- we have some rough gravel/dirt driveway on the farm and occasionally go to mountain retreat cabin.
* Quiet/smooth highway driving - most of our rides are highway and I'm hard of hearing and really do appreciate quiet rides so I can hear conversations.
* Quality tires - Hubby says Michelin, but I'm seeing their quality going down. Subaru mechanic says Yokohama - but some reviews aren't that great.

We use 225/60-17 tires. Please recommend decent tires that you have tried. We are already about to be on 3rd set of new tires and it's been over 3 years since we got this car. And yes, we have it routinely serviced and have the tires rotated! Thanks in advance.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,348 Posts
Might I suggest the entire subforum we have dedicated to tires? Where this thread should be...and where I have now moved it.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,348 Posts
225/60/17 is not a terrible to find size. Should find several options to look into.

Can't comment on the new Premier AS from Michelin, but I was very pleased with my Primacy MVX4 in 225/60/16H. Currently running Continental TrueContact in 225/60/16H.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the Michelin Premier on my 2011 Outback for about a year. They ride fine and are quiet. Very good on wet roads and in the snow.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,061 Posts
I put a set of 225/60/17 General Altimax RT43 tires on our 2013 3.6R last December after doing six months of research. Purchasing tires always requires various compromises somewhere, and I was looking for overall bang-for-the-buck. These tires have handled all driving conditions we have thrown at them (including ice and snow) and I could not be happier with them. No hydroplaning, quiet ride, true tracking, they hold their pressures well, and a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty. As always, the best deal I found was at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,362 Posts
I also went with General Tire, I chose the RTX since it seemed more suited for mud than RT43 (at least visually) and they were on a good deal at the time. Quiet, works well off pavement, good traction on dry and wet roads. I do not like how they perform in snow. The rubber compound is too hard in cold weather and they slide; not concern though as I do have dedicated snow tires and I was just waiting to test out the new wheels for thoroughness!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
why are you eating tires so fast?

and I saw on your other post you are thinking Continental A/Ts.

_____

typically gravel and dirt driveways don't call for A/T tires,...are you getting physically stuck now on said driveway?
(I think I would lay some more gravel in the mud holes before I bought A/T for a driveway,
...where i live those steep gravel driveways get icy, but I have deep tread studded snows for that.

and in the 3 remaining seasons my michelin primacy that are now in the end of their life still scamper up them with little drama,....but it is important to work such things with a tractor now and again).

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
208 Posts
I just put a response regarding tires in the "beat a dead horse" thread and one of my favorite tires is the General Altimax RT43 tires like others mentioned. They are superb in a variety of conditions. Do some research, read some reviews, people like them. They're quiet and real good in the rain and snow, far better than many aggressive looking or big name tires.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,362 Posts
Interesting, the RTX seems to be marketed in Canada and not USA.
Even searching with the model name "Evertrek" mostly returns CA sites.
Could be a specific tire made only for Canadian Tire.

You guys certainly have more options/competition. Most good brand-name tires around here will run $200+ a tire (Michelin quote installed/taxes-in was $1,250....). Seems high to me, especially when there is a Michelin plant not 60 miles from where I am (not like transportation is an issue here!).

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
Now that you've found the tire sub-forum you probably have all the info you need!

I went with the new Michelin Premier LTX and am very happy. They simply will not hydroplane. I can't comment on winter use of them because I run Michelin X-Ice in the Michigan winters. Makes the Outback into a snowmobile.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium
15 Posts
I was looking for tires for about 3 months before really needing a pair, last week, and fell upon a group of AT Tires that I liked.

Maxxis Bravo 771
BF Goodrich TA KO2
Yokohama Geolander ATS ( I was told by my mechanic that the ATS was discontinued replaced with the Go15)
Yokohama Geolander G015
Continental TerrainContact AT

I ended up with the Continental Terrain Contact 4 days ago. So, I have no real review of them yet except they are quiet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Limited
24 Posts
I went with the Michelin Defenders last September and have been satisfied so far. They are obviously street tires but we do some limited driving on dirt and gravel roads, and did some light snow driving last winter and haven't had any problems. We got them at the local Big O dealer. The tires, with road force match balancing, new TPM sensors, road hazard warranty and a 4-wheel alignment was just over $970 US. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
2012 subaru outback 2.5i limited
4 Posts
I was looking for tires for about 3 months before really needing a pair, last week, and fell upon a group of AT Tires that I liked.

Maxxis Bravo 771
BF GoodrichTA KO2
Yokohama Geolander ATS ( I was told by my mechanic that the ATS was discontinued replaced with the Go15)
Yokohama Geolander G015
ContinentalTerrainContact AT

I ended up with the Continental Terrain Contact 4 days ago. So, I have no real review of them yet except they are quiet.
What size? Think you could for something bigger....say 235/65?

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6r Limited
164 Posts
I've got over 55k on a set of Premier AS from Michelin. I expect to get another 10k out of them. Still quiet and smooth and do fine in rain and snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 on my 2013 Outback, stock tire size.

Not a bad tire at all.
Assume you had no issues with these?

First set would not balance properly, after 3 attempts, Sams Club replaced them. Second set balanced fine, but after first rotation they showed signs of underinflation, and have been loud ever since. Trying to figure out if its the Pirellis or Sams or what. These will need replaced before end of year so shopping now...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
Mine seem fine.

I had them road force balanced without issues.

No problem on wear as of date.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts