Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Christmas present was my aunt who was visiting from out of town dinging my car. Tried to pop it out and it's still noticable.

My question is can anyone do me the biggest christmas miracle and measure your distance from the bottom of your door to the bottom of your moldings and how wide it is. I'd really love to say that me finally biting the bullet on the side moldings will cover the dent

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,210 Posts
Also, rear door side molding is 1.5" wide its entire length. Front door molding is 1.5" wide and gradually tapers down to 1" near the front and ends 3 or 4 inches from the front of the door.

If the molding is wide enough to cover the ding you could probably mount the molding slightly higher or lower if needed without looking bad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect thank you guys so much this ding has definitely put a damper on Christmas!

I went out and measured the ding and how far up it was and it's about 3/4 of an inch and 11 inches up the door. So I figure I'll get the moldings and maybe mount them an inch lower.

Once again thank you so much for helping me out guys it's the first new car I've owned an it's hard seeing it's first ding especially when it happens in front of your eyes.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R, Magnetite Gray/Titanium Gray
33 Posts
Perfect thank you guys so much this ding has definitely put a damper on Christmas!

I went out and measured the ding and how far up it was and it's about 3/4 of an inch and 11 inches up the door. So I figure I'll get the moldings and maybe mount them an inch lower.

Once again thank you so much for helping me out guys it's the first new car I've owned an it's hard seeing it's first ding especially when it happens in front of your eyes.

Hey ..mine were bought from Sportwing and these were the pics for installation. Sorry about your mishap..

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey ..mine were bought from Sportwing and these were the pics for installation. Sorry about your mishap..

Thanks a lot! I was reading that sporting was another option do you like it now that it's been installed?? Do you have any pictures of it on your vehicle?

Thanks again merry Christmas!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

I feel your pain. My first new car after years of junkers was an '09 Toyota Matrix. This happened in a parking lot with less than 5,000 miles on it:

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel your pain. My first new car after years of junkers was an '09 Toyota Matrix. This happened in a parking lot with less than 5,000 miles on it:

That physically makes my stomach hurt! I can only imagine you're pain!!

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R, Magnetite Gray/Titanium Gray
33 Posts
Thanks a lot! I was reading that sporting was another option do you like it now that it's been installed?? Do you have any pictures of it on your vehicle?

Thanks again merry Christmas!

My OB is a magnetite grey color which is new for 2018. Sportwing matched it perfectly. Additionally, the BSM was $127. and I saved a few bucks from OEM:wink2:

·
Registered
White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
985 Posts
So my Christmas present was my aunt who was visiting from out of town dinging my car. Tried to pop it out and it's still noticable.

My question is can anyone do me the biggest christmas miracle and measure your distance from the bottom of your door to the bottom of your moldings and how wide it is. I'd really love to say that me finally biting the bullet on the side moldings will cover the dent

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!

No present for your Aunt next year-that is unless she is rich and has put you in her will
:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited w/Eyesight
9 Posts
Pointless Dent Removal all the way! My dad was a PDR tech for several years and he could work wonders on a dent. Sadly he passed away a few years ago. I still have all of his tools, but haven’t taken the time to learn the skill. There are few places these folks can’t work out a dent (ones behind impact beams or in complex body creases are particular challenges) and their results are so good that even if you knew where the dent was, you’ll not see it. Watching them do work their trade is like watching some sort of slow motion magic show. Check with local dealers for who does their PDR work - every dealer uses a PDR service for trade-ins and the occasional new car that arrives with a dent. You can’t also check with local car clubs - sometimes they have PDR folks working their car shows.

Regarding the BSM.. many OEM solutions include cardboard templates to assist with alignment. Our ‘18 OUtback was ordered with BSM, so I can’t speak to what is included with Subaru’s OEM moldings, but I know all Honda BSM packages come with the templates.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
PDR is a miracle.........we had an acorn strike the hod of my wife's 2018 Crosstrek, leaving a nice little "bullet" ding right on the hood in my wife's field of vision.

I hired a vet-owned PDR tech service and he walked the ding out in less than 30 minutes..........no surprise as I had a major dent in my old Forester's front fender which made me a believer years ago BUT have to definitely add my vote for PDR techs........and Techvet, sorry for your loss of your father.........

Steve

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
PDR is a great way to go but in the OP's case I would still suggest taking the money that would be spent on the PDR and put it toward the side moldings as originally planned. That is assuming the dent can be covered. The side moldings may prevent a lot of future parking lot door dings. The moldings won't prevent them all but they will help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PDR is a great way to go but in the OP's case I would still suggest taking the money that would be spent on the PDR and put it toward the side moldings as originally planned. That is assuming the dent can be covered. The side moldings may prevent a lot of future parking lot door dings. The moldings won't prevent them all but they will help.

Yeah I'd like to do both I'm just trying to get a quote for the pdr then get the moldings.

If I had them on from the beginning I wouldn't have this predicament.

What do you think about wheel arch mouldings??

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah I'd like to do both I'm just trying to get a quote for the pdr then get the moldings.

If I had them on from the beginning I wouldn't have this predicament.

What do you think about wheel arch mouldings??

The side moldings were a must for me and I would have added them right away but the car I bought already had them. I like the wheel arches as well and have even thought about getting them but I am leasing and it seems silly to spend money on a car that I may not be keeping. I did buy extra wheels and snow tires but I figure those I will be able to resell later if I don't keep the car or buy another one that they will fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts