Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a used gen 2 Outback (2000-2004). I have a few questions. How much mileage is too much? (When I grew up Japanese cars were viewed ok up to 200000 + miles) Is this about the same for a Outback. Are there any things to be wary of or very common problems to look for? I do not want to spend over $4500.00, is this a realistic price?? Are manual transmissions any better or worse than automatic? I am located in Central NJ, any suggestions on a good place to buy or check. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
REgardless of what brand or vehicle nothing is more important than proper care. Buying used I never buy from a dealer! Always buy from a 1st owner with all records preferably dealer records. Nothing is more important than regular oil changes!!!!!!!!!!! Records that show proper oil changes are worth gold.

Get a experienced Subaru shop to check the Head gaskets!!!!!!!!!!!! Before buying the CAR!!!!

Any car 90,000 miles or more being sold with the 2.5L engine needs to have the timing belt replaced when sold to the new owner. The cost should be discounted from the asking price if not done! If seller claims it was done - do not accept verbal yes it was done - Only accept receipt for the work completed as proof!! A mechanic cannot view a timing belt and tell you if its original or a replacement not possible!!!!!!

Good luck

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,860 Posts
...you could just buy a trek bike...lol

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
Heed what Subiesailor said. Oil changes are key. After that, make sure its from a private seller with records, especially of proper timing belt + pulley changes.

The clutch on a manual OB I've heard has an expected life of around 100k, but I'm up to 136k on mine without issues. Granted, mine is mostly highway driving. Do you deal with a lot of stop and go traffic? The clutch on the 2nd gen OB is heavy, and it is a chore to get it through crawling traffic.

Also, browse through some other threads about people asking advice, such as:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ce/50812-need-some-advice-buying-2003-ob.html

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,433 Posts
All 2000-2003 outbacks are now old enough that they should be on their second (or later) timing belt. The last of the 2004s will be due by March 2013 going by the 105 month rule.

Insist on paperwork proving it, or lowball your offer enough that you can afford to put one in right away.

I don't think there is a significant difference in quality between the auto & manual trans in these cars. The auto will require more frequent fluid changes; the manual requires engine removal to replace the clutch once in a great while. I'd call that a draw in terms of time & money spent. Get the one you'd rather drive.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
headgaskets.

timing belts are due by this age, regardless of miles. $450 - $700 at dealers.

no advantage auto's verses manuals. auto's are becoming easier and cheaper to maintain...no clutch maintenace, input shaft bearings, synchro's wearing out, more expensive torque bind...anyway, the subaru manuals are fine if you change the fluids but not really advantageous as they once were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts