Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 outback with Harman Kardon speakers, a few months ago the speakers cut out driving down the road I can still hear the tweeters but the 6 1/2 s in all four doors went out after some troubleshooting I thought it was the head unit so I replaced the entire radio checked every connection everything looks good, nada. I order 2 new door speakers still no dice. I checked the voltage coming out of the connecter points with an ohm meter looks good wiring harness is in good order. I have no idea now, anyone got any ideas what the problem might be?

PS: checked the fuses, all look good.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,584 Posts
Since you've replaced the head unit and all four speakers but are still experiencing problems, I would suspect wiring - even though you believe it's good and you've confirmed continuity with an Ohmmeter.

Remember the harness flexes at the rubber boot whenever the doors are open and closed, so it may look OK when you check it but then go open circuit again. Gen 3 wiring harnesses are now old enough that some members here have reported remote power window and door lock issues because of this flexing.

To cut diagnosis time: Patch the speakers in temporarily with new wire directly connected between head unit and speakers, just to test if you can get it to work with known good wiring. If you can prove this works OK, then you have your culprit.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,352 Posts
It's really strange to lose the audio on all speakers at the same time... Does your vehicle have an amplifier under the passenger front seat? Here's a link to your brochure and to the parts diagram for the vehicle.

maybe the amp isn't dead, and just a plug came loose.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,352 Posts
If you are looking under the passenger front seat, here is a good picture of the 86221AG11A amplifier (there are a few) on ebay:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any progress sleuthing the issue and resolution?
Yes! With the advice of a few people on the forum i believe the issue is the amplifier under the passerger seat. I've purchased another amp off ebay it should come in Thursday and ill install it friday. fingers crossed this is the missing puzzle peice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update as of 7-9-20. so the new amp i ordered off eBay didn't seam to fix the issue. after removing the old amp and installing the new one to my suprise the exact same issue occurred. i'm perplexed, anyone have any other ideas what the root cause may be?

in summary
  • the 4 door speakers in my 09 outback went out. no sound.
  • replaced the radio
  • replaced the front door speakers
  • replaced the HK amp
still only getting sound from the tweeters and the sub-woofer
Friday i plan to replace the back-door speakers but my expectations are low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 2
Success! The issue was the back doors speaker wiring. I cut the damaged wiring away and spliced in some new ones worked instantly. The odd part was i unplugged both back speakers and suddenly the front 2 speakers works just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts