Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought an 05 Outback 3.0L h6 llbean edition. The catch is that is has an oil leak. I think I I’ve managed to pinpoint the leak, but I’m not that knowledgeable and therefore have no idea where to go from there.

The leak appears to be coming from a bad hose, as the hose is wet while the surrounding area is dry. Also, the pipe connected to the hose is, for the most part, dry. Oil appears to be coming out of the top of the hose and seeping down the hose, forming a puddle under the car.

The hose is on the drivers side near the coolant overflow tank (see picture).

Any help identifying this hose so I can get it replaced ASAP would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought an 05 Outback 3.0L h6 llbean edition. The catch is that is has an oil leak. I think I I’ve managed to pinpoint the leak, but I’m not that knowledgeable and therefore have no idea where to go from there.

The leak appears to be coming from a bad hose, as the hose is wet while the surrounding area is dry. Also, the pipe connected to the hose is, for the most part, dry. Oil appears to be coming out of the top of the hose and seeping down the hose, forming a puddle under the car.

The hose is on the drivers side near the coolant overflow tank (see picture).

Any help identifying this hose so I can get it replaced ASAP would be a huge help.

Thanks!
I believe those are the transmission cooler hoses. Hard to tell from picture though.....what color is the fluid?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe those are the transmission cooler hoses. Hard to tell from picture though.....what color is the fluid?

Fluid is dark brown/black, almost like motor oil. That wouldn't travel through a hose like that though, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to say where the hose and pipe start, but they travel upward at the extreme left of the engine bay, almost near the wheel well. The hose in question ends in the center toward the front to what I assume would be the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hard to say where the hose and pipe start, but they travel upward at the extreme left of the engine bay, almost near the wheel well. The hose in question ends in the center toward the front to what I assume would be the radiator.
Yes those are the trans cooler hoses. Over time the rubber gets stiff causing a leak. And the spring clamps lose some tension. I would just replace the hoses and clamps. And service the tranny when ya can if the fluid is that dark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes those are the trans cooler hoses. Over time the rubber gets stiff causing a leak. And the spring clamps lose some tension. I would just replace the hoses and clamps. And service the tranny when ya can if the fluid is that dark.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
I had leaks in both the supply and return hoses on my 09 a few years ago. Remove and replace both, but make sure you don't get the tube stubs mixed up, so replace on at a time or label the stubs. I think the rubber breaks down and hose starts to weep fluid.

Funny when I did mine, i bought the two hoses at the dealer and couldnt get one to fit, went back to the dealer and the wrong hose was in the package. A supply hose was packaged as a return hose. I also replaced the clamps, they are spring loaded, for the money its easier to just use new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts