Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Printed this note on 7/13/2019

I bought a brand-new Subaru Outback in 2017.

A few problems: the battery died one month after I purchased. Recently the rear hatch won't fully open (it stayed half-way) and today it's even worse - after closing it, it will NOT open anymore. I didn't touch the memory button. I also checked the owner's manual but cannot fix this issue at my own effort. Then I called the Subra Kirkland service center and they told me the next appointment would be 10 day later.

Is there anyone who knows how to trouble-shoot this problem and help me fix the problem sooner?

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,273 Posts
There are many reasons why the battery may be depleted. In other threads there are discussions about how people may unknowingly drained their battery.

You indicate you cannot open the rear-gate. Does the vehicle even attempt to notify you that it's about to try to open it? If not, maybe you don't have it fully in park or the car is still locked?

If it does beep twice and flash the lights like it's about to open the gate, but doesn't, then maybe it's the solenoid on the latch mechanism.

Have you tried the FOB, the switch on the lower-left dash, and the switch on the hatch itself?

What are the other quality issues you've experienced?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited
544 Posts
Did they replace your dead battery or did it just need recharging? Has the battery problem been a repeat problem for you?

Have you checked the memory function on your tailgate? You may just have the tailgate memory settings in the wrong place. Read the owners manual about the tailgate memory controls.

Are these the only two issues you have resulting in condemning Subarus to all of your friends?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for those folks who offered kind help. The battery issue - it’s dead and it’s replaced with a new one. Maybe the bad luck on my model

The power rear-gate cannot open issue: I found a fix. It's a software glitch - the Subaru engineering team have a hidden function (pressing + holding the rear-gate opener and door-opener buttons at the same time for 3 times). Then I can open the power rear gate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this hidden function myself by trying different ways of different key presses.

I also checked the 10A power rear gate fuse (on the owner's manual) and it's not open.

hope this helps other people who might have the same problem.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thanks for those folks who offered kind help. The battery issue - it’s dead and it’s replaced with a new one. Maybe the bad luck on my model

The power rear-gate cannot open issue: I found a fix. It's a software glitch - the Subaru engineering team have a hidden function (pressing + holding the rear-gate opener and door-opener buttons at the same time for 3 times). Then I can open the power rear gate
Sounds sort of like the key combination to disable the PIN code access function for the rear gate.

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
561 Posts

Please clarify, do you mean the buttons on the key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds sort of like the key combination to disable the PIN code access function for the rear gate.
Yes. This feature was NOT listed in the owner's manual. I just figured out after doing different trials. Maybe this is one of the debug functions that Subaru engineering team have as secret weapon

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP! Rear hatch suddenly stopped working/simultaneously loud alarm goes off when car is moving. Tried all your suggestions but didn't work. Also seems to be draining battery. Not sure if it will start tomorrow when i really need it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP! Rear hatch suddenly stopped working/simultaneously loud alarm goes off when car is moving. Tried all your suggestions but didn't work. Also seems to be draining battery. Not sure if it will start tomorrow when i really need it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
my daughter borrowed my car and this happened to her
My husband had to disconnect the battery to get it to work

just happened again. That beeping could make you run off the road! Took it to the dealership. The guy pulled on the door till it opened and the beeping stopped. I’m having the battery, starter and alternator checked tomorrow. Didn’t have 1.5 hours to sit with it today

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
561 Posts
Had the same after low battery, dealer did a reset procedure on the tailgate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my daughter borrowed my car and this happened to her
My husband had to disconnect the battery to get it to work

just happened again. That beeping could make you run off the road! Took it to the dealership. The guy pulled on the door till it opened and the beeping stopped. I’m having the battery, starter and alternator checked tomorrow. Didn’t have 1.5 hours to sit with it today
So talked to the dealer
if you go to the back hatch and hold the button to o for 20 seconds the latch automatically detaches. Then you have to lift the hatch manually. This is what turned off the infernal beeping.
The battery needed replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'll second the fix using hidden function. My wife wedged a blanket fragment under the latch area of a '15 Outback. The dash icon showed the hatch was open but, it would neither open nor close with the fob, the dash switch, or the rear switch. The dual-button triple-press described above quickly rectified the problem.

·
Registered
Buick - 1986 Regal T-Type / 2013 Taurus Limited / 2015 Corvette Stingray / 2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
33 Posts
I had a similar issue after an open hatch depleted the battery overnight. The rear hatch would not open and an alarm sounded at low speed. An internet search lead to my detaching the power and ground cables from the battery and holding them together for thirty seconds. The problem was solved and I have had no further issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts