Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 outback limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

One of my lug stems snapped. No idea how. Anyhow, I picked up another hub and want to tackle the install. I am pretty familiar with the car and have replaced the rotors and pads. I see that I need to remove that nut which appears to be holding the hub in place. I'll use a screwdriver and hammer to remove the pinch which holds the nut from losening. Once I remove that nut do I just use a puller to remove the hub?

I think I saw a couple people do this and break the wheel bearing in half. Am i right?

Do I need to take out the bolt holding in the ball joint and something else before trying to pry off the hub?

Anyone have a step by step with photos or a link to a video? I've done some searching and cant find an exact match to what I'm going to attempt.

thanks in advance, as always.

George

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Any reason you want to replace the whole hub? You can just knock out the snapped lug stud (I've used a hammer and large punch) and put a new one in (use a lug nut to pull it into place). It's pretty simply.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Hi guys,

One of my lug stems snapped. No idea how. Anyhow, I picked up another hub and want to tackle the install. I am pretty familiar with the car and have replaced the rotors and pads. I see that I need to remove that nut which appears to be holding the hub in place. I'll use a screwdriver and hammer to remove the pinch which holds the nut from losening. Once I remove that nut do I just use a puller to remove the hub?

I think I saw a couple people do this and break the wheel bearing in half. Am i right?

Do I need to take out the bolt holding in the ball joint and something else before trying to pry off the hub?

Anyone have a step by step with photos or a link to a video? I've done some searching and cant find an exact match to what I'm going to attempt.

thanks in advance, as always.

George
Having just done this on the rear of my car over the weekend, let me add one important bit of information before you break out the hammer.

1. There are four bolts on the back of the brake dust cover / suspension arm that hold the wheel bearing hub on.

In order (abbreviated a bit):
a. Jack up car, secure on stands, remove wheel.
b. Remove bolts for brakes, remove brake caliper and secure.
c. Remove rotor. Insert metric bolts (m8's I believe) into threaded holes in rotor to push off.
d. Pry up the part of the big nut you already addressed and remove big nut. Hint: It might be helpful to loosen this nut prior to removing the brakes, so that someone can hold the brakes while you loosen the nut. Otherwise, jam something long between the lugs to counter your torque. I used a big snap-on pry bar.
e. Remove four bolts on back of of wheel hub.
f. There's some kind of special removal tool to remove the hub as it's pressed into the arm / knuckle. That said, most shadetree mechanics will convince the hub loose with a bit of creativity. Need I say more?

Once loosened, the hub and the brake backing plate will come off and with a bit of cleanup, you are good to go back and install your new parts. Subaru recommends a new big axle nut.

There are factory manuals available here and in other forums that can give you the proper torque settings for each bolt. Use the search function to find them and save them somewhere on your computer or print. ;P.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
^^^ I don't think a 2000 will have an HBA (hub bearing assembly), it might.

look to see if there is a hole in the backing plate that lines up with the studs - might not even need to take it off.

the large nut in the center WOULD have to come off for replacing the hub or for replacing the axle. If you decide to remove it, an impact wrench will spin it right off. BUT, when replacing, best to use a new one, and put a big screwdriver in the rotor vanes, back it around to the caliper, then use the torque wrench with the wheel in the air - not with the car's weight on the ground.

I think yours will be like this;

you could check out this video;

·
Registered
2000 outback limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all. I ended up using Nick's tip. I didnt realize you can smash the studs out of the hub. I just used a sledge hammer and put a new stud in and pulled it into the hub by tightening the lug on it with the tire on.

That was on the drivers side. Guess what? My passenger side wheel bearing is shot so I just took the whole passenger side apart. Replacing axle which has torn boots and 150k on it. I took the knuckle off the car with the bearing and hub attached. Gonna bring it to my local subaru dealer when I grab new reman axle this saturday and see if they can press in a new bearing for me.

Thanks to everyone who answered as well!

This place rocks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts