Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Man. w/All Weather Pkg ( H4 4EAT)
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help accessing the final 4 bolts in the back the oil pan to reseal. The RM from Subaru wants you to have a hoist. Youtube tutorials are somewhat helpful but I'm still having trouble jacking up the motor to gain access with a swivel extension. Advice is needed. I see people jacking up the automatic trans and it worries me. Not sure what's next.

What I've done so far:
Pull dipstick tube (1 10MM bolt)
Remove bolt from Pitch-Stop engine mount
Remove front header bolts (6 14MM bolts in total) exhaust is hanging freely
Remove nuts which secure front cushion rubber onto front cross-member. (2 14MM nuts, one for each side)
That's it so far. And I have to order some brand new gaskets from Subaru aswell.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I would disconnect the transmission mount also. You can jack against the aluminum casting of the transmission, just use a block of softwood. (2x4)

I would get yourself a ratcheting ( swivel head) box wrench. It's worth it's weight in gold for something like this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would disconnect the transmission mount also. You can jack against the aluminum casting of the transmission, just use a block of softwood. (2x4)

I would get yourself a ratcheting ( swivel head) box wrench. It's worth it's weight in gold for something like this.
transmission mount? When I messed up my transmission (I was trying to install a new trans mount) All the bolts to the cross-member and transmission bolts are stripped and to makeup for my mistakes all we zapped and made sure they wouldn't unscrew with an impact. If I take any of the bolts out they all holes would have to be re-tapped, which is why I wanted a shop to do it of some sort. I was able to unbolt the exhaust hanger easily from the rear of the transmission and jacked up the casting like you said with a rubber block (I have those instead of wood) and actually got more clearance. I can feel every single bolt and not see the remaining two on the inside but my swivel extension is barely making a difference.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Just undo the mount-to-cross member bolts, or just the top 4 bolts from the mount to the transmission. It's tight, but you can leave the cross member alone.

Again, a 10mm swivel head ratcheting box wrench is a game changer here also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just undo the mount-to-cross member bolts, or just the top 4 bolts from the mount to the transmission. It's tight, but you can leave the cross member alone.

Again, a 10mm swivel head ratcheting box wrench is a game changer here also.
I got it done.... I managed to get the "U" shape of the header off the car and jacked the motor up along with the front diff. I'm going to need a new dipstick tube which scares me. I don't know how I'll manage to maneuver the tube without scratching it, but I will be cleaning off old gasket material. Having a block of rubber is really saving me. Pickup tube looks fine as well and I wish I had a swivel head ratcheting box wrench but all I have is a extension with a swivel. My garage floor is a mess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts