Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi its snowing real bad here..i have a 98 outback 2.5 ltd..i just changed the thermostat..and flushed the radiator.and filled the colant..now the temperature guage switches between cold and extreme hot the next min..and blow hot and cold air..i think theres air somewhere and needs to be let out...theres a freekin blizard and the dealers are closed..any help on what can be the problem or how to fix this instructions would be appreciated..thanks in advance..

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Your symptoms resemble the infamous internal head gasket leak, except it doesn't happen so suddenly ... or did you already have problems which led you to work on the thermostat?

Sudden hot and cold through the vents definitely sounds like air in the coolant, though it may actually be exhaust.

Many people have said this is not an easy system to bleed. One tip that may help - at the top of the radiator, on the passenger side, is a black plastic "philips" type screw. This is an air bleed; you can pour more coolant into the fill hole if you remove this plug (it sits higher than the fill).

And don't forget to put it back in!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Air in the system sounds like the problem. Make sure you can 'squeeze' out all the trapped air. The water pump may be cavitating due to air in the system, too. Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys thats what it was it was just realy hard to get all the air out...all fixed now woohoo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
suby01
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing