Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have an 2019 Outback 2.5L. We are considering doing a road trip and renting a camper trailer to hitch. I am a novice when it comes to hitching and specs, and I'm confused what the limitations are for an Outback.

The official specs says towing limit is 2700 Lbs. I'm trying to understand what sorts of trailers I can hitch that meets the specs. I found this blog post, that lists multiple options, but when I look at the weights on various sites, I'm seeing they're mostly 3,000+ and that's dry. I'm also unfamiliar with the how to choose a hitch that means the tongue weight.

Ideally we'd like a small camper that does have a toilet and basic kitchen. Does anyone have any advice? We're looking at using RV Share - we're in Arizona and there's a lot of options for us. Thank you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Since nobody else has chimed in I'll try to help, since I'm in the same boat as you and have been looking into a camper, but full disclosure I have not towed one with my Outback yet. I think you're pretty much limited to small popup trailers. The Outback does not have a lot of capability when it comes to towing.

As far as hitches, I have an Ecohitch and really like it. I think the tongue rating is probably not going to make a difference since you're limited by car. for example, my ecohitch has a tongue rating of around 500 pounds, but the Outback itself has a tongue rating of 200 pounds. You have to abide by the lowest number. Most hitches are going to be rated at more than 200 pounds so you should be good with basically any of them, realizing that you shouldn't exceed the 200 pound rating of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that's where my suspicion led me but had to confirm, since I saw photos of cabin style campers being recommended. What's the price range estimate for getting a hitch installer?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
31 Posts
Remember the 2700lb trailer weight mentioned in the manual is a maximum for the 2.5L engine. Others may disagree but in my opinion towing that weight with an Outback will not make for a pleasurable trip. I lean heavily on the conservative side when towing. People will say they had no problem towing a much larger trailer than I'm comfortable with but when you factor in the possibility of emergency braking or maneuvers it's nice to have some margin of safety. Also anything over 1000lbs according to Subaru requires trailer brakes of some kind. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very good point. I think it's also a factor what kind of trips you plan on going on. If you're only going to be camping at a lake 30 minutes from your home that's a different story than going on a cross country road trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it would be long distance and the initial stretch is uphill. Sounds like I should play it safe.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
31 Posts
Very good point. I think it's also a factor what kind of trips you plan on going on. If you're only going to be camping at a lake 30 minutes from your home that's a different story than going on a cross country road trip.
That's true. A short trip on secondary roads at lower speeds would certainly tolerate a heavier trailer than a longer trip on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - I have an 2019 Outback 2.5L. We are considering doing a road trip and renting a camper trailer to hitch. I am a novice when it comes to hitching and specs, and I'm confused what the limitations are for an Outback.

The official specs says towing limit is 2700 Lbs. I'm trying to understand what sorts of trailers I can hitch that meets the specs. I found this blog post, that lists multiple options, but when I look at the weights on various sites, I'm seeing they're mostly 3,000+ and that's dry. I'm also unfamiliar with the how to choose a hitch that means the tongue weight.

Ideally we'd like a small camper that does have a toilet and basic kitchen. Does anyone have any advice? We're looking at using RV Share - we're in Arizona and there's a lot of options for us. Thank you.
I have a 2017 Outback 2.5 and have been towing with it since I bought it. I own a [email protected] Teardrop trailer that is about 1100 dry and maybe 1300 the way I tow it. I feel it more than the Jeep Liberty I had before, but it's an easy tow. However, I am also very conservative about towing and feel that underweight is much better than max weight.

I have about 3,000 miles towing with this setup, and it's perfect, but the next group of trailers that have more than just a bed inside are 2600 pounds or more. I would want to tow them with a 5,000 pound rated vehicle, or at least 3,500. We love the teardrop and are trading up to one that is 1 foot wider, the [email protected] Max. We do have 4 dachshunds, and it gets a bit crowded.

Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bruce,
I am looking into getting a hitch on my 2019 OB for towing a [email protected] or a-Liner perhaps next year. What hitch do you have? I would like to use the "concealed" style..is this recommended? Are there better ones for the OB?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts