Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean Outback H6-3.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am the new owner of a 2001 outback with the 3.0. I am having trouble with the heater not working properly. When you first drive the car a few miles & it warms up the heater works great on the auto setting, but, after you drive for 15--20 min. The heater basicly stops working. The blower fan still blows but you can not feel any air comeing out anywhere. The fan sounds like it tries to change from vent to floor & ect but it does not. If you are stopped long enough for the motor to realy cool off then the heater will work fine for 15 min or so. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help.:eek::eek::confused:

·
Registered
03 outback
26 Posts
I had that problem on a Buick with auto temp. I pulled the battery cable and than reattached and the bcm resets and haven't had the problem since

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,790 Posts
The automatic temperature controls in your car are like the thermostat in your house. Set it and leave it. There are sensors in and on the car that feed temperature and light readings to the Body Module. It uses this information from the ambient sensor on the front radiator core bracket, the light sensor on the dash and the temperature sensor under the dash to calculate the need for air temperature and fan speed. It manages the air vent flow to maintain the cabin temperature at the setting you have it on. When first started, the system operates in a manner to reach the temperature setting as fast as possible. As the temperature levels out in the cabin, the fan speed will change automatically as well as the vent position. If the fan is slowing down and the air flow is changing, its normal. After the car sits, the temperature inside the car changes, so the system will run different than when you parked. If it is constantly changing positions in a quick manner, there's a problem.

Also try putting the system on manual by tapping the "Auto" button. The Auto light will go out on the panel. In manual, set the temperature to 85 and make sure it is pushing out hot air. Change the fan speed manually up and down. Change the vent position manually. Change the temperature to 65 and check that you get cold air. The AC will turn on regardless of the outside temperature on 65. In this way, you know if the motors in the dash are working properly, the fan changes speeds and the temperature control is working.

If you could be more specific in its actions, it would help to determine if there is a problem or its working normally.

If you are hearing the fan run loudly, you may want to check the cabin air filter behind the glove box. It may be clogged, coming apart or both. You won't find one at your local parts store.

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean Outback H6-3.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be more specific.

If I set it on auto at 72 and drive for 15 to 20 min I have good heat and it works correctly then it will change sound, AC will come on the display, the fan still runs but I have no air flow out of any of the vents or defroster. I can leave it alone and as it gets colder in the car the heat never comes back on. If I switch to manual the fan motor runs but I have no heat and no air flow from any setting.

If you think that this might be the cabin air filter how do you get to it to change it?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.:):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts