Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been browsing these forums for months collecting plenty of great info and am almost prepared to begin my head gasket job on my 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (EJ25D engine). Many threads/links have helped put the list together, but I have not come across one which is complete and has all of the part numbers.
I would like to buy the Subaru HG part # 11044AA610 but am unable to find it in a kit, so would have to piece together the other gaskets & seals needed - but it has proven difficult finding the correct part numbers for each optimal seal/gasket which has made me consider going with the Fel Pro HG kit for $150 which includes the valve cover gaskets, grommets, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, oil pump o-ring, plus others ??? Also not sure which part number for this kit is correct for my engine.
Is there a 610 HG kit available? If not, if I also were to buy a proper Valve Gasket Kit would it include all the other seals/gaskets which come with the Fel Pro kit? (most Kits list some of the gaskets/seals included but not all of them... so who is to know what's included) I really want to avoid buying every seal & gasket separately.

In addition to those, I believe what I need is: Front/Rear camshaft seals, front main seal, and if not in the Valve cover kit then also park plug tube seals/gaskets, half moon gaskets, oil pump seal & o-ring... Am I missing anything? And does anyone have part numbers for those?
I understand not to replace the rear main seal or head bolts. Not sure if I will replace my water pump or not, but probably will since I'm in there.

Of course I will purchase a Timing Belt Kit as well (probably off ebay) but again there are various choices. These two seem good... are they, and which is the better?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/140502053483?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2108wt_986
and
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160603340560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1707wt_986

As far as special tools I have my Haynes manual, Ultra Grey sealant, torque wrench, feeler gauge, 12-sided 14mm socket, and engine hoist. Missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
It certainly seems you've done your homework, so props to you for all that research. My HG experience was on my SOHC engine, but I'll answer what questions I can.

I don't think there was ever an OEM "kit" of gaskets, either DOHC or SOHC. I went the all 3rd party route, and there are kits out there for that, though mine is SOHC. Which ever brand of head gasket you end up getting, make sure it doesn't have a graphite coating on the outside, because that's what caused your problems in the first place.

As best as memory serves, the total gasket and seal list you need is:
-head gaskets (2)
-valve cover gaskets (2)
-spark plug tube seals (4)
-valve cover grommets (10)
-intake manifold gaskets (2)
-exhaust manifold gaskets (2)
-front cam shaft seals (4 for your DOHC)
-you mentioned oil pump seal...are you tearing the oil pan off? I think there's one big gasket all around the pan.
-not sure about front seal, as you'll need to get the crank sprocket off to do so.

Aside from the tools you've listed, I'd recommend in addition:
-torque wrench in ft-lbs
-torque wrench in in-lbs (my sohc needed one of these)
-camshaft holding wrench.
-1/4 drive breaker bar.

I'd also recommend going hunting for an online pdf collection of the factory service manual for your generation. I got one from a link somewhere on either this forum or the legacygt forum for my generation Legacy/Outback. The FSM is much better than the Haynes, but used them side by side. There are also lots of invaluable treads where people have posted step by step DIY's for what you're about to do. And since many Subaru's share the same engine, be sure to look through all the forums out there, NAISOC, subaruforester, rs25, lagacygt, etc. I remember coming across resources and tips all over the place.

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I think my tool list is near complete...
- engine hoist, chains, floor jack, blocks
- 3/8" drive socket set with extensions (metric 9-19mm)
- 1/2" drive socket set with extensions (SAE + metric)
- 22mm 1/2" drive socket
- 14mm 1/2" drive deep socket
- 14mm 12-pt 1/2" drive socket
- 1/2" drive breaker bar
- 1/2" drive torque wrench (20-150 ft-lbs)
- set of metric flat/combination wrenches (8-19mm)
- chain wrench, crescent wrench, vice grips
- screwdrivers, hex key set, pliers, files, punches
- feeler gauge & straight edge
- part puller
- ball pean hammer & rubber mallet

Missing anything? Do I need a seal puller? What about an engine stand... other options?

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
This utube on changing the timing belts will probably prove useful to you. It's the best one that I've found and I have watched a dozen

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
Alright I think my tool list is near complete...

Missing anything? Do I need a seal puller? What about an engine stand... other options?
The SOHC engines needed a in-lb torque wrench at one point for the head bolts installation. Not sure about the DOHC.

A few cold beers at the ready wouldn't be a bad idea. Nor would an engine stand.

And I suggest taking tons of pictures as you go so you can backtrack better.

·
Registered
2002 outback ej25 manual trans
52 Posts
You should still be able to get a master rebuild kit from subaru. it will come with just about everything you need. try part # 10105AA240.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys! I've wrenched before... farm repairs, fabrication, clutches n engine pulls, etc but never any serious engine work. Check my VIN and engine serial number; now ready to order parts this weekend. Planning to DL the FSM to go with my Haynes.

Ordered my timing belt kit. Apparantly the idlers and tensioner are OEM.
I've seen the OEM engine overhaul gasket sets for as little as $230. Or piece it together OEM then about $200. Or mainly FelPro pieced together inc. OEM HG is about $170. FelPro kit inc. FelPro MLS HG about $145. All plus S&H to Canada.
Not sure which I'll choose, but definitely with the OEM 610 HG.

Should I replace crank seals if they aren't leaking?
What about the 'cam support o-ring'?
Will I need a torque wrench with in-lbs as well?
I won't have an engine stand... build a strong lumber mini work bench?

Anxious to dig in... especially since my garage isn't insulated! Thanks again guys, getting tons of great tips and info off the forum.
I will keep it organised and try to take a few pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts