Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the cabin air filter on my 2011 Outback, and am having trouble lowering the glove box. I got the dampener on off with no problem, but I can't seem to lower the golve box any farther to get to the cabin air filter. I've tried squeezing both sides of the glove box and pulling down, but that's gotten me nowhere.

Is there a "trick" to lowering the glove box that I'm not aware of?

FWIW, I'm trying to follow the steps in this video:

Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
There's no trick- damper off, then grab the "flimsy" inside panels while pushing in and down and it should eventually go down once you clear the lips on the inside. You're not going to break those flimsy side panels either, so just push around in all directions and they'll drop down. The whole process took me about 60 seconds start to finish, you'll get it :29:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is there a "trick" to lowering the glove box that I'm not aware of?

FWIW, I'm trying to follow the steps in this video: Cabin air filter replacement- Subaru Outback - YouTube

Thanks!
Yes, I found a 'trick' that worked for me. I reached back and pulled the back edge (top) of the glove box towards me. By By deflecting the back towards the passenger seat you will also notice the sides will pull inward. Doing this on each side while pushing the sides inward at the same time, I was able to more easily move each side inward far enough to slide them past their stops. Look at where the guy's left hand thumb is in the video and you will see where to grab the back to pull towards you.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just wiggle it around a bit, it will pop out. It can seem like you're being ruff on it but it will come out. Just pay attention to the angle it pops out at in the video.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no trick- damper off, then grab the "flimsy" inside panels while pushing in and down and it should eventually go down once you clear the lips on the inside. You're not going to break those flimsy side panels either, so just push around in all directions and they'll drop down. The whole process took me about 60 seconds start to finish, you'll get it :29:
Yes, I found a 'trick' that worked for me. I reached back and pulled the back edge (top) of the glove box towards me. By By deflecting the back towards the passenger seat you will also notice the sides will pull inward. Doing this on each side while pushing the sides inward at the same time, I was able to more easily move each side inward far enough to slide them past their stops. Look at where the guy's left hand thumb is in the video and you will see where to grab the back to pull towards you.
Thanks guys! I finally got it out. What a PITA! It takes A LOT more force than the videos indicate, which makes you wonder whether you're removing it or breaking something. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
You clearly have never changed the filter on my 2001 VW jetta. Lets just say it involves removing sections of the car infront of the windshield - handling cheap very sharp flimsy sheet metal which fits poorly to start with ha ha.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My wife helped me with our 05 OB cabin filter. As soon as I saw all that was in place from the factory was just an empty filter frame, I told her, "it is just as well, as we never would have gotten an element in there in one-piece" - as we were putting all the parts back together that make up the right dash and glove box!:confused::17:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The "trick" is intended to cause you to visit your local Subaru dealer where you will be charged $115.95 to change the cabin filter.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The "trick" is intended to cause you to visit your local Subaru dealer where you will be charged $115.95 to change the cabin filter.
Soon to be $215 given apparently people making 250K a year are filthy rich millionairs who need to pay off our GOV debt! LOL

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any good aftermarket brands that fit? I don't like the cheap stuff they sell at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My wife helped me with our 05 OB cabin filter. As soon as I saw all that was in place from the factory was just an empty filter frame, I told her, "it is just as well, as we never would have gotten an element in there in one-piece" - as we were putting all the parts back together that make up the right dash and glove box!:confused::17:
Yes, they've eliminated a lot of unnecessary parts and steps for this task on the Gen 4's. On my O8 I use the glove box to hold an Alpine head unit so I eliminated the box insert and underside cover panel.
I use a cut to size electrostatic furnace filter material that gets washed twice a year and leaves very little dust on the blower blades. Now I'm very proficient at removing and re-installing the glovebox- disconnecting the Alpine actually takes longer.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Cabin air filter

I use NAPA cabin air filters and change them twice a year. NAPA has cabin air filters for any car and make at fraction of the cost of OEM cabin air filters.
Some are in stock (at my location - like 2010 Forester, 2009 Honda Civic) others you can order online and pick it up at your closest Napa store.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use Fram CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin filters
FRAM Fresh Breeze® Cabin Air Filter | FRAM®

Bought one a WallyWorld recently, but haven't popped it in. I usually clean mine a few times before the media is loaded with micro dust and needs replacement.

Another thread noted the ridiculous price for the dealer service. Yesterday saw a local dealer advertise the replacement for $79.99. Oh boy!

Does your cabin smell fresher?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Something that helps the process a bit--especially in the winter when the plastic glove box becomes a bit stiff--is to borrow your wife's blow-dryer, and use it to warm up the plastic for a minute or so before trying to bend the sides of the glove box. Some hot air aimed at the sides will make the plastic a bit more flexible. Just don't overdo the heat!

:29:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the good thread. I just replaced mine. It was a little tougher than I expected it would be to get the glove box out. After popping the filter in, I had a little problem as the dampener arm somehow retreated back into the dash. Took me a bit to fish it back out. In any case, this replacement was TONS easier than replacing the filter one of my previous cars, a 1998 Honda CRV. Holy smokes, what a PITA.

Take a guess which filter was the old one and which was the new! :)

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You clearly have never changed the filter on my 2001 VW jetta. Lets just say it involves removing sections of the car infront of the windshield - handling cheap very sharp flimsy sheet metal which fits poorly to start with ha ha.
...lol...exactly the same on my '04 TDI...open the hood, remove the front rim piece up front and get it out of the way then reach in and pull out the filter. Just wait till your heater/AC blower motor goes and you have to pull the the whole glove box to get in behind and remove it...fun, fun, fun...lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
26 Participants
noremorse
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing