Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Subaru lovers:

I recently purchased a "pre-owned" (used) 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited. I'm very happy with it except for a few problems that I have mostly solved.

Long story short - someone apparently did a job on the plastic molding that runs along the bottom of the driver's side seat (referred to as the "recline cover" as far as I can tell) when they were vacuuming or something -it's badly dinged up, very gnarly and I'd like to replace it.

I don't want to deal with the dealer anymore; I already had them replace a light that was broken, I'd like to fix this myself. I can buy the part for about 50 USD. My problem is I've never done anything like this before.

Can someone explain to me how to get the old piece off and put the new piece on? It can't be that difficult. I just cant figure it out. I'm assuming the part won't come with instructions, so I want to make sure I can do this before I get it.

BTW - this is a power seat, so I need to get the plastic controls off, too. Do I just pull real hard? Or is there a trick to this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
In the last couple of weeks somebody posted some pics of aftermarket leather seat installation. I can't remember where. Maybe someone else can chime in?? I couldn't find it with a quick search.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,477 Posts
I think that was leather covers on leather seats.

Anywhoos:

Front Seat
DISASSEMBLY

DRIVER SEAT (MANUAL SEAT)
CAUTION: Before assembling, make sure how the harnesses of the side airbag and inner seat belt are routed in order to avoid misarranging. Assembling with harnesses improperly routed may cause the harness to get caught and short out.

Remove the seat from vehicle.
Remove the seat lifter lever.
Using a flat tip screwdriver, remove the seat lifter lever cover.
Remove the screw and remove the seat lifter lever.
Remove the reclining lever cover.
Pull up the reclining lever and release the claws on the back.
Pull out the reclining lever cover.
Remove the seat side cover OUT.
Remove the screws.
Release the claw in the upper section of the seat side cover.
Release the claw in the rear section of the seat side cover.
Release the claw in the front section of the seat side cover, then remove the seat side cover OUT.
Remove the inner seat belt assembly.
Remove the nut and remove the inner seat belt assembly.
Remove the clip for the inner seat belt harness located under the seat cushion.
Remove the seat side cover IN.
Remove the screws.
Release the claw in the upper section of the seat side cover.
Release the claw in the rear section of the seat side cover, then remove the seat side cover IN.
Separate the backrest assembly and the seat cushion assembly.
Remove the clip for the side airbag harness located under the seat cushion. (seat with side airbag)
Remove the bolts from reclining hinge of both sides.
While taking care not to damage the airbag harness, separate the backrest assembly and the seat cushion assembly.
Remove the sliding adjuster bar.
Remove the left and right spring locks.
Pull out the sliding adjust bar.
Remove the riser cover OUT.
Remove the clip.
Remove the hook, and detach the riser cover OUT.
Remove the screws and remove the riser cover INN LH and RH.
Remove the hooks and hog rings.
Remove the seat cushion pad & cover from seat cushion assembly

And there you go. Its not as hard as you may think. Pretty much, take the seat out, remove the backrest and take the bottom cover off.

Enjoy. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts