Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue began last week, did a few errands then stopped by Walmart , got back out car did not want to start. The engine will crank but not start, around 3rd or 4th time after sitting longer it started then stalled out. Got it to start again and drove for about 500 ft then it stalled out again and then would not start at all but cranked.
So off to the shop and with them going through most of everything- fuel pump, spark(coils), crank and cam sensor all Good. No issues with battery or starter as it starts Cold but when I noticed after being driven and up to operating temp the issue is there again.
So got it back from shop next day drove to car wash and back home no issue, few hours later back out drove not more than a mile from home and stalled while driving, then started again then stalled then back to shop by flatbed.

So seems to be when cold it will start then able to drive until it seems to a certain temp of which no over heating per the temp needle, then it will stall and not start.

Thoughts are fuel pump relay- faulty? front 02 sensors failing and sending bad signal to ecu to rich/lean?

H6 Outback with 240k on engine all with routine maintenance.

If anyone has experienced this or would know of other solution I would appreciate it.:smile2:

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
536 Posts
Any codes set or pending? Thinking maybe fuel pump o ring?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Verify whether it is lack of fuel or lack of spark. Check tailpipe for fuel smell immediately after a failed start.

10 year old Outback 3.0 fuel pumps aren't known for consistent pressure, dig deeper on that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No codes thrown, no CEL. That what was a mystery to the shop, but after reading there can be issues without always having a code. As far as fuel pump, it was checked at the pump itself for voltage and also psi was at 55. Coils where checked also. As far as fuel, after doing some digging , it could possible as stated a bad or faulty relay since it will start and then die.
But I will have them check the pump again .
Just curious as I mentioned in main post if anyone has had this type of issue , since the shop is as baffled as I am. Like they mentioned they are basically chasing the problem and trying to avoid throwing parts at it.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,444 Posts
A couple things ---

Grounding The battery can check out good but you could have a loose ground somewhere effecting the conductance. So double check or have the shop double check conductance.

Fuel, Air, Fire, Compression. Any one of the 4 missing and its a no start. Plenty of air, you have compression because it doesn't come and go, and you have fire unless the ECM is not igniting all the coils. That leaves fuel.

Fuel pump (as well as other electrical motors) A cold motor can have good contacts to operate, everything is contracted. When a motor is running, expansion occurs and it may be that the fuel pump is unable to operate when it gets hot. Sure, its submerged in fuel to help keep it cool, but its also old. It may be heating up and failing, weak windings, corrosion, whatever. Pull the fuel pump and bench test it. Run it in open air, warm shop/garage and see what happens after it heats up. Check resistance prior and after and it may be the fuel pump failing. The other option is to swap your AC relay for the Fuel relay when it does it and see if it primes and starts then. I'm inclined to believe it won't make a difference, but I've been wrong before.

Let us know. Others are watching and can learn from it.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
has this happened at different fuel levels?

try some starting fluid next time it fails - should narrow if it's a lack of fuel that's the problem.

some sensors can become intermittent at temp, crank or cam ....?

DBW so, can't help thinking about the pedal assembly, but, so weird not having any codes even misfire codes.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No issues at different fuel levels and it happened at above a 1/4 of tank and then on full tank.

I dropped by the shop earlier this morning and next was to hook it to the scope and watch for issues. But yes no codes so next step was to do this but down to and my thought is sensor related and overall the crank and cam.

Will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
You said you checked the fuel pressure at the pump, but what about a clogged fuel filter? Throw a piece of steel hose to bypass it momentarily, to see if it starts. BTW, how did you check the coils? To my recollection, this forum told me they cannot be properly checked with an ohmmeter.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
533 Posts
You said you checked the fuel pressure at the pump, but what about a clogged fuel filter? Throw a piece of steel hose to bypass it momentarily, to see if it starts.
Gen 3 does not have a fuel filter that can be maintained easily. It is a screen that is built into the fuel pump. You need to remove rear seat to access it. I do not think that one can bypass it using a hose either.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
Gen 3 does not have a fuel filter that can be maintained easily. It is a screen that is built into the fuel pump. You need to remove rear seat to access it. I do not think that one can bypass it using a hose either.
Apologies...I saw 3.0 H6 but did not look at the generation.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Failing fuel pump O ring causes low to zero fuel pressure in the old H6’s. Temp could play a role in the early failure as the failed O ring expands slightly or contracts slightly just enough to allow gor fuel pressure or not

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Failing fuel pump O ring causes low to zero fuel pressure in the old H6’s. Temp could play a role in the early failure as the failed O ring expands slightly or contracts slightly just enough to allow gor fuel pressure or not
as I recall it was expressed in the "trapped in parking garage thread" that I linked, that is a 2000-2004 pump problem.

not a 2005-2009 problem.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
865 Posts
@mark211 When it stalls while driving, does it stumble and hiccup as it stalls, or does the engine Stop like it does when you turn key off.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after being at the shop for more than enough days ,final conclusion is they cannot figure out the problem. It started today and ran so they called awhile ago to tell me to come pick it up. Then another call saying it stalled again and had to push it back.
One thought was bad 02 sensors but no issue there but also no codes. Everything pretty mush has been checked that could be an issue but not coming back as bad.

Last thought was ECU but with that no codes at all. I am out of ideas and so is the shop, so it sits there until the am so I figure out where to have it dropped off at or and not wanting it to go to the dealer as they will just run up a high bill without possible solutions?

At this point I feel my Outback is Dead!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
any aftermarket gear on the car? remote start or left-over breathalyzer test starter? Was the car ever a rental? or could it have a toe-the-note kill switch?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aftermarket remote start- yes, never a rental or no kill switch. That was checked along with other security .

Talking to a mechanic friend who works on Subaru's he pointed back to failing fuel pump, so I going to have them replace it.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
well, remote starts are notorious for causing problems. Seems to me a fuel pump cutting out would cause a few misfire codes to be set....?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts