Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 has OEM factory installed wheel arch moldings. The other day my right front molding became partially disconnected. I believe the root cause was a drive through car wash. Some of the hardware is missing I need two clips like the one shown below with the screw still on place, and I need one additional screw to mount it again. So in total, I need 2 clips and 3 screws.

Edit: I looked at the latest instructions (attached) from Subaru and figured out what I need.

I stopped by my local dealer and they only sell a full hardware kit for the molding and the price is $120!!! So the search begins for a few metal clips and screws.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy these items?

Edit: I did some more research and found the correct instructions. So to clarify, I need 2 of item H and 3 of item I.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,201 Posts
You can often find various metal and plastic attachment hardware pieces for relatively cheap prices at Harbor Freight and Pep Boys. It may not be an exact match, but you can probably come very close.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can often find various metal and plastic attachment hardware pieces for relatively cheap prices at Harbor Freight and Pep Boys. It may not be an exact match, but you can probably come very close.
Thanks, I am sure I can find the screw but the offset clip looks rather unique while the hole position is critical. It does not hurt to check a few stores.

I was kindda tough on this guy...maybe I should not of been and he can help you out!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/472089-2010-2014-single-wheel-arch-molding-hardware.html

My bad! Looks like he sold all of them on ebay. Perhaps you could do the same thing he did!
Haha, you were kind of tough on him but who would expect a bag of hardware from Subaru to cost $130. His listing is a good compromise to the problem. I blame it on Subaru, not him. I just can't bring myself to buy the hardware from Subaru out of principal. I don't like feeling like I am getting ripped off. I am used to paying the Porsche tax for some items but I don't expect if from Subaru!

I sent a note to him on eBay to see if he has any left. Thanks for the link...

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 2.5i, 2016 OB Limited 2.5i, 2014 OB Limited 2.5i, 2013 Audi A6 Prestige, 2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD (Retired)
171 Posts
I was kindda tough on this guy...maybe I should not of been and he can help you out!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/472089-2010-2014-single-wheel-arch-molding-hardware.html

My bad! Looks like he sold all of them on ebay. Perhaps you could do the same thing he did!
Red - Yes you were a bit tough but I didn't take it personally. I did sell all three in pretty quick order and had a total of eight inquiries about the availability including one this morning from "Owen." But, you were nowhere near as tough as the fine folks who chastised me for my asking price on my 2014 Fully Loaded Outback 2.5i Limited with 77,000 on the clock. I've got to say, some people really don't understand what market-makers are. Yes, selling a 2014 is a bit tough... it's priced just too high for those looking for cheaper reliable transportation and is too old for some when they can get newer for an extra couple of hundred bucks per month. It's a tough spot. In the end, I had three serious inquiries and the buyer ($200 below the ask) was ecstatic to be getting out of her 200K mile 2010 Base Outback and into a beautifully maintained loaded Outback with 133K less miles, no head gasket issues, and a timing chain. It was sold within 10 days, during a snow storm, with 20 inches of snow on the ground (five fresh fallen and still coming).

Thanks for directing this Forum Member to me. May we all have everlasting shining coats of paint.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts