Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 outback, 190k auto 2.5 blue
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my buddy changed my t-belt pulls and water pump on my 98 outy 2.5 it ran and drove to the shop now it just cranks, won't fire but has spark. Valves AREN'T bent and has compression....What are we missing??? Any IDEAS???? THINGS I can check. Thanks ALL......

·
Registered
98 outback, 190k auto 2.5 blue
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he told me the timiming marks were off a bit when he changed them but lined up everything as they needed to be when he put it back together? any better way of checking timimg?

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Check the crank and cam gear sensors! Especially the cam gear sensor. On my '03 Outback the sensor is on the driver's side right above the cam gear. I accidentally and unknowingly broke a wire to the sensor and the car wouldn't start. Had to replace the pins in the connector with new wire leads, then solder them to the existing wiring. Check that. Edit: I think the crank sensor is a bit hidden under the alternator and less likely to accidentally break, so that's why I suspect the cam sensor first off.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
did any 'tabs' break off the crank sprocket? they are used by the crank sensor.

are the plugs wet with fuel? might just be flooded, crank while holding the gas pedal on the floor - clear flood procedure.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
If the car ran fine...got a new timing belt...then hasn't run fine since - you can bet the timing marks are not properly lined up.

it is often the case that folks use the wrong timing mark on the front crank gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts